What fossil is this?

Georgina04

Hi!

i found this fossil, among with many others which were Crinoidea in limestone. This was lying amongst the limestone pebbles which contained minute fossils. This one caught my eye, at first it looked like a rock but on further inspection it got me thinking it could be some sort of fossil. It has lines running along it, in one direction, they taper down to the bottom which I also have took a picture of. It was found on the coast, and the site I went to is renowned for its many crinoid and coral fossils. The whole shoreline was mainly limestone. I was thinking it was some sort of coral or shell. It measures approximately 5cm in length. Maybe a belemnite? 

Thank you! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It looks like tumbled rugose coral, to me.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree, ... a Rugose coral. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thank you everyone for your help! :) glad to know what it it, it had me stumped. I knew it wasn't just an ordinary pebble

Cool find!!! Coral like everyone else said.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Archived