dinodigger

Hey gang, see how many verts you can find. Notice the neural spines that make up the fin. Came across this cluster as I was taking the hill back to get some fresh soil samples and do more work on the stratigraphic portion of the research. Well, and so we could find more bones of course... this is dimetrodon number 6 in an area that is roughly 20 feet by 10 feet... wowzers.

20170108_110527.jpg

6 vertebrae?

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Total guess, but,... 18?

20170108_110527.thumb.jpg.7c96d9fd6c81c87f03e6f0408b12d31c.jpg

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

How was the paleogeography there back then? What form of deposition could afford for so many corpses in such a small area? Or are they predation leftovers? Or was there a rumble in the jungle?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

looks like clay so probably slow moving water or tidal? Maybe a historic crossing of a body of water during migration?

blind speculation on my part.

Great questions Ludwigia.!  That's the stuff that seems to interest me most with insitu finds. 

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

In other post on the subject it has been stated that it was an oxbow lake that was periodically dehydrated.

That would mean it was a flood plain of a large river.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

16 hours ago, squali said:

looks like clay so probably slow moving water or tidal? Maybe a historic crossing of a body of water during migration?

blind speculation on my part.

Great questions Ludwigia.!  That's the stuff that seems to interest me most with insitu finds. 

I like your slowing moving water or tidal suggestion. I've used Belemnite ( in situ ) orientation to help find possible paleocurrents. Which has turned up loose bones from a carcass I was looking for.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Archived