Beware of dinosaur skin material

-Andy-

Dinosaur skin are a highly sought-after fossil. The ones usually available to collectors are Edmontosaurus skin impressions from Lance, or Hell Creek Formation, and they aren't as rare or expensive as you might expect, fetching up to 100-200 USD per inch depending on quality.

However, it is easy to mistake a bumpy piece of rock, mud sediment, septarian nodule, concretions, or a coral fossil as dino skin. Right now there are at least several of such on our favorite auction site.

Here are examples of fossils/pseudofossils mistaken as dinosaur skin:

Hadr 2.jpg Hadr.jpgHadr 3.gif

Hadr 6.jpg Hadr 4.jpg Hadr 5.jpg

And here are real Edmontosaurus skin impressions:

Positives:
Pos 1.jpeg Pos 2.JPG Pos 3.jpg

Negatives:

Neg 1.JPG Neg 2.jpg Neg 3.jpg

So how do we tell real skin impressions from misidentified ones? Honestly, it isn't always easy, but here are four basic guidelines.

1) Skin impressions come as negatives or positives. If it comes with both, even better!

2) Skin impressions are rarely ever a complete piece by themselves(not the way a tooth or an ammonite is). Instead, skin impressions are often fragments, or look like they are broken off from larger chunks

3) There should be a uniform shape to each individual scale/osteoderm. Refer to the negative pictures above

4) Most skin impressions come from South Dakota. If you get another locality, be on extra alert - it's either another species(and thus very expensive), or misidentified

If in doubt, ask the forum before purchasing. There are plenty of experts here glad to help. Have fun shopping!

• I found this Informative 36
  • Enjoyed 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Good post, Andy

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

What Ash said. Good informative post. Very useful for those looking to get a piece of dinosaur skin.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Good information, Andy.  :)

Having recognized one of my finds/photos, I'll offer a slight correction, in that this find was never mistaken as dino skin.  However, I have used it many times to illustrate the bizarre characteristics of pseudo-fossils.  ;) 

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Great post! Very informative!:)

I think this one should be pinned in the Fossil Fabrications thread, it would have a great place there!

Thanks for making this!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

good post Andy.  Indeed, hadrosaur skin is the best known and most common, but other skins are known and do look quite different.  I do not watch the markets so I don't know if they ever find their way into the market, but they look nothing like the pseudofossils Andy shows in the original post. 

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...