Small eel fish?

GallinaPinta

Hello, I bought a small fossil that looks like a small eel fish. Is it just a knightia from a top angle? Or is it something else? Also the back part of the rock was revealing a small brown spot. I got curious and started chipping away and I found another fossil! That one looks like a knightia eocaena but since I'm so new I can never be too sure. Help will always be appreciated! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GallinaPinta

The first complete fish is a Knightia that has been painted. 

I think from the size of the tail, the other might be a Mioplosis. :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The complete painted one you have is a Knightia eocaena in dorsal view (from the top down)

These are fun little fossils to find! I really like the dorsal views.

Tim is correct about the second being a Mioplosis tail.

These both come from the split fish layers of Green River Formation in Kemmerer, Wyoming.

They are Eocene (~52myo)

The Mioplosis tail is a very nice find :)

• I found this Informative 3

So is the knightia a fake or was it just painted to enhance it's beauty? Also thank you for the replies! It's amazing I found the other fossil, and it was my first experience ever carving one!

2 minutes ago, GallinaPinta said:

So is the knightia a fake or was it just painted to enhance it's beauty? Also thank you for the replies! It's amazing I found the other fossil, and it was my first experience ever carving one!

It is a real fish, it was simply painted to enhance it.

DSCN9950.JPG

Here are some fish that came straight out of the quarry I work at.

You can see that they are not quite as impressive, but this is how they look naturally!

• I found this Informative 2

24 minutes ago, GallinaPinta said:

Wow. It must be great to find so many in such fantastic condition. That's amazing

Those were found in about 1 day of digging ;)

Around 5,000 are found in that condition in 1 summer, from 3 of us digging.

And we only dig those for a couple of weeks, most of our energy is spent in the "18 inch layer"

The one thing that always sticks with me though, no matter how many I find....

I am the first human to ever lay eyes on it. It has been sitting there untouched for 50 million years.

I envy you! It's a real privilege to be the first to ever discover such fossils of creatures that lived so long ago.  I never even thought that these amazing fossils would be so common and possible to acquire. I always thought that the price of a small genuine fish would be thousands of dollars. 

Wow I just realized that I'm the first to discover the fish tail that I carved..I didn't even think about it that way until you said that 

21 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

The one thing that always sticks with me though, no matter how many I find....

I am the first human to ever lay eyes on it. It has been sitting there untouched for 50 million years.

The complete fish is most likely only the imprint of the fish - I believe that if the ink were removed, you would have a hard time seeing the rest of it. 

Some of the imprint was missed when the ink/paint was applied. 

Commercial sellers will paint a marginal fossil to make it look better, so that they can sell it. 

These are such common fish fossils, and many aren't in great shape when exposed, but the dealers wish to get as much out of their time spent digging as they can  - hence the enhancements. 

I personally think this is a dubious practice if it isn't mentioned in the advertisement for the fossil that it is "enhanced",  and the extent of the "enhancement". :( 

image.jpeg.d629e98a6199f7ab81f0fffd2076944e.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me