Can anyone tell me what this is?

Jonelle

Does anyone know what this is? We found it at a abandoned construction site.. it had some sharks teeth inside.. its 7in x 3 in at its widest point. Thanks ! I'm almost thinking it looks like a huge phosphate module? I really have no clue. IMG_9339.JPG

This object is really interesting, but I don't know what to make of it. It would be great if you could expose the sharksteeth without ruining the matrix.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Jonelle

Here in Portugal I find some stones like that.

I don't see any shark teeth in the pictures. The suggestive forms may let you think that are shark teeth.

These stones stay long time in the sea and some organisms do that holes. Inside those holes, normally are some bivalves living...

Yes in this Picture it seems a shark tooth.

Maybe the tooth stayed stuck in one of the stone holes... This stones rolled in the sand and sea....

Jonelle this is the single tooth in the stone or you can see more?

this is probably a phosphatized rip up clast that has been bored by lithophagous mollusks such as Pholids. These are found in lag deposits along with other resistant clasts such as sharks teeth. Basically these are created when the sealevel rises and existing sediments are leached and eroded leaving only concentrations of resistant things like pebble, shark teeth etc. A rip up clast is a piece of a lower sediment that has been ripped up by the action of the transgressing sea and becomes indurated (or was possibly already indurated (made hard like stone))  and phosphatized along with many of the other lag constituents. Another possibility which requires the same sequence of events is that this is a manatee rib that has been badly worn in a pebble lag to the point of being unrecognizable. It would still be subject to boring by lithophagous mollusks. If you google "pholid clam burrows in rock" you'll get a lot more information. Your shark tooth was part of a lag deposit and found its way into the pholid burrow when they were both being moved around in the modern sea or in the original lag. The sorted pebbles and shark teeth you see in the modern beach environment are lag concentrations also. They are sorted by weight, size and shape.

Sorry for the ramble. This is an elaboration of what Abyssunder said.

• I found this Informative 7

3 hours ago, Vieira said:

Yes in this Picture it seems a shark tooth.

Maybe the tooth stayed stuck in one of the stone holes... This stones rolled in the sand and sea....

Jonelle this is the single tooth in the stone or you can see more?

There were more along with some pebbles that came out when I rinsed it.. and I think I see one imprint on the side but I'll have to get a better look at it today 

Thanks @Plax I'm going to be researching it today, and taking a look at all our other findings.. I was also thinking before I rinsed it that it looked like a possible manatee bone. Thanks for the great information!

47 minutes ago, Jonelle said:

Thanks @Plax I'm going to be researching it today, and taking a look at all our other findings.. I was also thinking before I rinsed it that it looked like a possible manatee bone. Thanks for the great information!

I agree with most that Plax said, but in relation with manatee bone I disagree...I don't see any structure of bone in the pictures.

• I found this Informative 1

Yep, I've seen pieces like that. It has had the heck bored out of it as Abyssunder and Don and others have already indicated.

It does look to me more like a clast (could very well be phosphatic) than a dugong or whale rib bone fragment that are fairly common down here.  The dugong bones are extremely dense and amazingly heavy for their size. They do occasionally also show some internal layering on the ends or in the clam bore holes---could be there but I dont see that. Neat to find a shark tooth within the specimen! 

Edit: for what its worth here are some photos of bones of external and internal textures along with a few borings...my apologies if I've already posted these..I know I was going to post em but........

Regards, Chris 

Bone Fragments banded ends.jpg

Bone Fragments exterior surfaces.jpg

Bone Fragments.jpg

Bone pieces Sarasota and Manatee Counties.jpg

Edited by Plantguy
Adding bone photos
  • I found this Informative 1