can anyone ID these?

hmrbri

Hello everyone,

these are a few of the many fossils we've collected in a cut of exposed gravel near the Moose Jaw river.

I've never seen ones like these before and couldn't find any info on the interweb.

any idea what i'm looking at?

brian

10333691_196699734032486_6088966880691170954_o.jpg

12109924_196700094032450_8245479773929090292_o.jpg

Edited by hmrbri

The first one is a clam the second one maybe geology!!!   :Welcome-crab:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Welcome to :tff:

The first picture shows a boulder of sedimentary rock. Two layers of sandstone(?) sandwiching a layer of marle. The marle layer may have some fossils in it but I can not tell from this picture.

Do not know about the other picture.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the forum. These are interesting looking but it will be difficult to tell you much without a little more information. It helps to have some idea of the size of the specimens if you could include something for scale in your photos. The other unknown is the age of the material. If you don't know the geological formation then please give us more detail about the location. You may find what we need on a geological map of the area. Thanks for posting your finds.

• I found this Informative 1

The second one looks like a Fisherites (Receptaculites), similar to those found in the Tyndall Stone .

Fisherites reticulatus 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree, the second one is a recepticulitid, likely Fisherites.  The first one could possibly the impression of the siphuncle of a large nautiloid such as Armenoceras.  Maybe a closer-in photo would help.  Anyway that's a very low-confidence guess.

These fossils seem a bit confusing as the bedrock around Moose Jaw is Upper Cretaceous, far too young for recepticulitids.  However there are a lot of glacial erratics and there are Ordovician outcrops of the Red River Formation and some Silurian formations to the North-East, so I suppose Paleozoic fossils could have been transported by glaciers and deposited near Moose Jaw.

Don