The rest of the finds from yesterday

Jonelle

So here are all of our finds from yesterday, I'm still cleaning and sorting them but If there is something you recognize let me know.. even if it's just one thing I should toss ;) 

IMG_9351.JPG

E1A02508-67A8-4E7F-9970-4223A07DC949.jpg

I can see that you have some Megalodon/Chubutensis, Sand tiger, Bull, and lemon shark teeth. Here's some shark teeth identify guides that have helped me identify some of mine. Hope this helps!!! :meg:

shark-teeth-id-chart.jpg

371979614266b6cccf5f46c9f9dc1b25.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Hey Jonelle, thanks for the additional photos.

I'm unfortunately not seeing any new clues with the fragments in these photos--maybe someone else will. I do suspect that you've got a number of more pieces of phosphate that have borings--lighter and the larger darker gray specimens. That elongated dark specimen above the 3 larger shark tooth frags does look like bone with the apparent porous/spongy looking interior. I suspect if someone could look at each piece in hand there might be some subtle clues for a general ID as to fossil or not or two but most appear well worn so probably not. If I get this camera to upload I'll show you some of the fragments I have that show some of the varying textures I was wondering if I would see when you flipped some of those guys over. I was thinking you might have had an osteoderm or maybe turtle frag but dont think so now. Looks like you did snag a couple nice clams and some complete shark teeth--good deal.  

I dont have many complete pieces of things but have learned alot by simply bringing all kinds of things home and then looking at them under a magnifying glass later and asking questions. There are some surprising things you miss during the 1st glance. 

All for now...

EDIT, Ok here's the group photo...I should probably do these individually for sharpness, but for time sake......upper left shows porous nature of the inside of a turtle shell frag and different exterior textures. To the right is the larger porous nature of an elephant skull fragment. A larger phosphate fragment on the bottom left and some of the lumpy textures of the shrimp burrows mentioned in your other post and lastly on the lower right a fragment of an alligator osteoderm....lots of similar somewhat subtle sorts of textures, but very different. 

14313.jpg

If anyone sees anything I've overstated or has flat our wrong feel to chime in....much appreciated. 

Continued hunting success! 

Regards, Chris  

Edited by Plantguy
Adding photo with textures/porosity Desoto Cnty, FL
  • I found this Informative 1