A Locality Challenge For Shark Tooth Lovers

masalakulongwa

This may not be possible, but can anyone suggest a possible locality for this tooth? It has been suggested that the color and condition may give clues to a possible locality or formation. If not, please enjoy the photos.

Many thanks.

Condition won't tell you anything. Sometimes the color can be a clue, but that only applies to the "wild" colors such as what would come out of the Bone Valley area of Florida. Your tooth could be from almost anywhere. I'd guess eastern US and the most common place for megalodon teeth like yours is probably South Carolina.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Hi BC, I agree with Northern Sharks. Color is a pretty poor indicator of location. But condition may help, especially for Megs - your specimen is pretty water worn, so we could at least say it was likely recovered from a river or stream. As NS also points out, the highest number or water worn Meg teeth on the market are found in the Carolinas, but also GA, FL, MD, VA....

BUT, even condition is not the best indicator, as I have meg teeth identical to your pic from Belgium.

So, I would say you have a decent water worn meg that was likely recovered from river deposits in South Carolina (or we could say South East, US) - the majority of which are attributed to the Hawthorne formation.