Peace River, Florida Xmas 2016 huntin' stories

CBOB

My wife and I decided to go to Florida and stay with her mom the week before this last xmas.  I really love hunting the Peace River and got in a 2 day overnight hunt while I was down there.  I ventured out Monday early morning from the Canoe Outpost who dropped me off at Gardner ramp.  Nothin better than a day of huntin and a night time campfire on the Peace! The next morning I met up with my wife and mom in law at the Brownville ramp in their canoe.  I quickly showed them my finds to get them psyched up for hunting and then headed out for some spots.  This was my wife and mom in law's 2nd time on the river so I was hoping the few spots I know of on that river stretch would produce some fun stuff for us.   We found some productive spots where everyone was finding stuff.  Everyone had a great time.  

After packing everything up and heading to the airport for home that Thursday before xmas we find out that morning our flight was cancelled due to the airline not finding a crew to pilot the plane?????  The airline's next flight was offered 4 days later after xmas.  As you can imagine the airport at Punta Gorda was not a happy place to be.  We decided to take the large travel vouchers and refunds the airline was offering and rebook a flight after xmas and just stay down there.  And what did we all decided to do on xmas eve Saturday??  Peace River!!  We did a day run from Brownsville again hitting a few of the same holes and finding a few new ones.  Lots of great finds and great times!

Here's some pics:

Heres a tapir jaw piece (?) , antler piece, some horse teeth, armadillo osteoderms, turtle shell pieces, alligator tooth, tapir tooth0112171301c.jpg

Alligator tooth and tapir tooth

0112171303.jpg

tapir jaw piece?

0112171305.jpg0112171305d.jpg

gar scales, alligator tooth, pufferfish mouth plate, softshell turtle shell pieces, turtle pieces, giant armadillo osteoderm, glyptodont scute, bony fish vert?? in the middle, antler pieces, mammoth tooth pieces, bullet

0112171309.jpg

gar scales, pufferfish mouth plate, alligator tooth, small mammal (horse?) tooth piece, giant armadillo osteoderm

0112171309a.jpg

bony fish vertebra? , turtle, mammoth tooth pieces

0112171310.jpg

antler pieces

0112171310a.jpg

0112171310c.jpg

Enjoy!

• I found this Informative 2

Here's the shark teeth of the trip. 

My wife's finds:

0112171314.jpg0112171314a.jpg

The biggest Hemi that we have, nice blue colors on the meg

0112171314b.jpg0112171316.jpg

My teeth:

0112171319c.jpg0112171321.jpg

biggest Tiger shark tooth I have collected,  is that a parasymphseal meg tooth?

0112171319b.jpg0112171322b.jpg0112171323b.jpg

Some random bone pieces I found, long chunk of dugong rib lower right

0112171328.jpg

Enjoy!

• I found this Informative 1

Great report and awesome finds! Glad you got to spend quality time with your loved ones, doing something you enjoy!:meg:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great pics and finds! That is a beautiful posterior meg you've got there too:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice finds, sounds like a great trip!

Thank you for bringing us all along for the adventure!

Great trip report--way to take lemons and make lemonade. Many (like myself) would have taken the travel voucher and rebooked a flight from a larger airport and headed home inconvenienced and grouchy. You turned it into an opportunity to revisit the Peace and shake out a few more treasures.

Looks like you did real good on the River. Nice selection of finds typifying the variety that can be found in the River. Glad to made it back to the Peace for more presents on Christmas Eve. Tammy and I decided to go present shopping as well that day and were gathering some micro-matrix from a nearby creek that day for a project I'm working on. Sure beats trying to shop for literally last-minute presents on that day.

Looks like you got to see some nice wildlife too while you were here. Gators can be hit or miss--some days we've counted up to a dozen between Brownville and Arcadia but most days we see none (or at most one or two). I always enjoy seeing Sandhill Cranes with their red chapeaus. We look forward to spotting these and the Crested Caracaras when driving over to Arcadia. Both species seem to like the wide open spaces and don't seem to care to visit the overpopulated southeastern corner of the state where I reside. I've never seen a Sandhill on the Peace--was this on the quieter northern stretch between Gardner and Brownville?

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

Looks like you got to see some nice wildlife too while you were here. Gators can be hit or miss--some days we've counted up to a dozen between Brownville and Arcadia but most days we see none (or at most one or two). I always enjoy seeing Sandhill Cranes with their red chapeaus. We look forward to spotting these and the Crested Caracaras when driving over to Arcadia. Both species seem to like the wide open spaces and don't seem to care to visit the overpopulated southeastern corner of the state where I reside. I've never seen a Sandhill on the Peace--was this on the quieter northern stretch between Gardner and Brownville?

Cheers.

-Ken

The sandhill crane was actually north of Gardner.  When I was dropped off at Gardner my first morning I actually headed up river for a few hours.  That was my first sandhill crane I had seen on the river too.