Fossildude19    3,629
Fossildude19

That must have been disappointing. :(

Sorry Mitch.

One step forward, 2 steps back. 

FossilDudeCO    501
FossilDudeCO

your first mistake started with "iphone" :P

Sorry, my wife uses apple, and I use Samsung. Had to give you a hard time.

That is disappointing though! They usually have such great detail!

Missourian    379
Missourian
5 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

your first mistake started with "iphone" :P

Sorry, my wife uses apple, and I use Samsung. Had to give you a hard time.

Well, having gummed-up photos is still preferable to a flaming pocket. :)

Max-fossils    154
Max-fossils

Sorry to hear about that :(

My sister has the iphone 4, but she often complains about the quality of the pictures.

I have the iPhone 5, which I think is alright for pictures. I do want to replace it, but not because of the camera (it's because of the battery).

My mom has the 6, which I think takes very good pictures. And my dad, with his 7, can brag about the quality, it's really amazing.

By the way, with the phones with iOS 9 and higher, when you put on the Low Power mode, the quality of the pics is VERY low. In fact, when I take pictures with my iphone 5 with Low Power mode, the quality of the pictures are very similar to the one you took with your SE.

Sorry for the whole talk about my family.:P

Best regards,

Max

Max-fossils    154
Max-fossils
7 hours ago, Missourian said:

Well, having gummed-up photos is still preferable to a flaming pocket. :)

Haha, well said! 

Kane    1,052
Kane

Although I have several Apple products, there are clear limitations in terms of not being amenable to customization. The software and hardware elements are pretty much WYSIWYG. I find the cameras on iphones/ipads/ipods are fine for snapping casual shots of a friend's birthday, but leave something to be desired for landscape or specimen shooting if one wants the lurid, professional detail. They can be middle of the pack for pixel count, but some of the baked in features cannot be changed (a good test is to see if you can actually take a photo of the moon without the auto-adjust kicking in and making it a shiny blur). Sometimes nothing beats spending a bit more and going with a standalone camera that affords you a lot more control with respect to the macros. You *may* have some luck working around some of the problems by acquiring some third-party apps to improve picture quality as you said, but if this is a hardware issue it won't be much help :(

Canadawest    760
Canadawest

I use an Iphone 4s for all my photo of Nature, fossils, field trips, etc. I'm amazed at the quality since I know nothing of photography and just snap and shoot.  I can also hold it up to the microscope eyepiece and, if patient, get some decent close ups.

I rarely use my cell phone...a couple calls or texts a week, so think I'll keep my older 4s model.  The Iphone and Ipad serve my needs as I never play games or do much other than surf the Web.

Missourian    379
Missourian
4 hours ago, Kane said:

Although I have several Apple products, there are clear limitations in terms of not being amenable to customization. The software and hardware elements are pretty much WYSIWYG. .... You *may* have some luck working around some of the problems by acquiring some third-party apps to improve picture quality as you said, but if this is a hardware issue it won't be much help :(

At least it's not a hardware issue. The nature of the artifacts indicates some software processing/compression is used. I figure it is supposed to 'fix' photos that otherwise would be motion-blurred or slightly out of focus.

I still must say that Apple products are wonderfully conceived and crafted. The problem is that if you need to do something beyond the tiny handful of adjustments offered, you're out of luck -- that is, if you would rather not install an army of apps as work-arounds.

Missourian    379
Missourian
26 minutes ago, Canadawest said:

I use an Iphone 4s for all my photo of Nature, fossils, field trips, etc. I'm amazed at the quality since I know nothing of photography and just snap and shoot.  I can also hold it up to the microscope eyepiece and, if patient, get some decent close ups.

I rarely use my cell phone...a couple calls or texts a week, so think I'll keep my older 4s model.  The Iphone and Ipad serve my needs as I never play games or do much other than surf the Web.

The iPhone (4s) cam is really good for close-ups (fossils, wildflowers, etc.) and microscope work (fossils.... what else?), and general photography when no zoom is needed. I too use the cellular capabilities more sparingly than most, but I do have a (modestly) extensive music library that prompted me to get a new phone with more space.

Missourian    379
Missourian

Sunset clouds, 4s before, and SE after (both showing detail at 100% resolution):

sunset-clouds-B&A.jpg

This is when I realized the new iPhone camera has a problem.

caldigger    454
caldigger

I listened to a radio program that discussed the new generation phones that are coming out. The jist of the discussion was that the newer phones are catering to the " Selfy" crowd. Supposedly, the camera in the rear is getting the better technology. So the rear camera should take better pictures. How stupid is that?!

Indy    65
Indy

I still have an old flip phone and carry my camera

with me when going into the field.

I guess I'm a dinosaur

:P

Fossilian    7
Fossilian
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 0:49 PM, Missourian said:

I recently upgraded from an iPhone 4s to an iPhone SE. After taking a few photos, I am not at all happy with the results. Compare 4s camera (left) with SE (right):

4s-vs-se.jpg

Zoom in 100% to get the full result. Note the difference in fine detail, especially the grass.

As it turns out (and unfortunately, as you can plainly see), Apple decided that photos look better with aggressive noise reduction (i.e. aggressive detail reduction). I guess the watercolor/Monet-like effect is nice in some cases, but certainly not all the time.

After extensive online and on-phone research, this 'feature' cannot be switched off/reversed (how typical). There may be apps that can remedy this problem, but I'm not sure yet. For now, I'll have to use the old phone for photos....

So if you are shopping around for a new phone and have a quality camera in mind, be aware that this phone (and apparently iPhone 6) has this problem (not sure about the iPhone 7).

6S has same camera as SE.

JohnBrewer    435
JohnBrewer

Camera+ app is a much better camera than the iPhone camera :)

Kane    1,052
Kane
1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

Camera+ app is a much better camera than the iPhone camera :)

I use Camera+ with my iPad. It's good for macros, but it can't quite overcome some of the hardware limitations. They used to have olloclip for iPad but discontinued it except for iPhone. You could probably just get a magnifying lens to achieve the same thing and save the 70 bucks.

JohnBrewer    435
JohnBrewer

A rubber band, my loupe and something to steady my hand works for me. You'll,err, get the picture in a day or two when I show of a couple of dinky trilos I found last Monday when I write my report. 

Using the macro doesn't really do much as it's software rather than optical based.  No different than standing back a bit and then cropping. It's a much better camera than the regular one despite apple's hardware :)

Kane    1,052
Kane
On 9/1/2017 at 5:54 PM, JohnBrewer said:

A rubber band, my loupe and something to steady my hand works for me. You'll,err, get the picture in a day or two when I show of a couple of dinky trilos I found last Monday when I write my report. 

Using the macro doesn't really do much as it's software rather than optical based.  No different than standing back a bit and then cropping. It's a much better camera than the regular one despite apple's hardware :)

Agreed. I think the i-family of devices are about 10 mp now, which is what I use. The problem with the hardware may partially be on account of the smallness of the lens size. Still, it is fine for quick snaps and party shots, but not so great for macros and some distance shots. The smaller lens makes adjusting light levels limited. Taking a picture of the moon, for example, is pretty much out of the question. For excellent detail, nothing quite beats a dedicated standalone device, which was why I got a Nikon 22.1 mp for Deb. The resolution is good enough to blow up to poster size.

I was reading somewhere about another potential workaround that takes a bit of MacGuyvering: finding an old camera, popping the lens, and rigging something similar to your idea of the rubber band and loupe. I sometimes go the loupe route with a jeweller's loupe (8x mag), but then it's blurry edges on depth of field issues. The digital microscope is fine if I need to zoom in further, but the lowest mag setting is 75x: great for ostracods and such, but not always good for larger fossils as things get magnified to the mineral grain! :P  

JohnBrewer    435
JohnBrewer

I've stuck my iPhone on my 8" reflector telescope and got fab moon images but that is an expensive iPhone accessory :P  

10 mega pixels is fine, I mean how big do you want to blow the image up? Mega pixels don't bother as much as some people. If used carefully with correct settings and lighting 10mp is fine for me. Gee, when I lecture groups quite often I hear people taking about 'upgrading' their camera as they have had their current one for all of 6 months. Makes me laugh. I upgrade my camera when my old one has died unless there has been a breakthrough in technology. 

For really dinky things i use a scanner. They can be 3 dimensional too. Must write a guide as the results are nothing short of superb. Big things scan fine too but need to be 2D. 

Ive had a friend over from Thailand this weekend who's a photographer. He put me onto another iPhone app. It's called 645 pro mk III. Now I'm not a gadget guy but after playing with it for a few hours I was so impressed I bought it. US $3.99. And I'm REALLY tight ;) 

UtahFossilHunter    37
UtahFossilHunter

We'll need someone with some cash to try the iPhone 8 and iPhone X cameras now.:ighappy: