Itty Bitty Oddballs and Lots of Them

Bone Daddy

Hi Folks,

I went through one of my boxes of small oddballs today and pulled out some that I'd like to ID.  I snapped some photos of them and tried to bring out the small details. They are numbered one through thirty one.  I have a general idea of what some of them are, but I'd like to get a more specific species ID on them if possible. These were all found in the Peace River, Florida, Bone Valley, Hawthorn group.

#'s 11 through 16 are small vertebrae or parts of vertebrae

#9 is some kind of spine cookie

#1 has a very fine pattern on it. I have a couple of these.

#3 and #4 are partial teeth.

#8 is weird - the reverse side (not shown) looks like a fossil hash with lots of small bits cemented to it. The top-side shown has a black and textured area. The side edge has a pattern of holes in it. The black area might be the embedded fossil. 

#5 has a hole in the middle and might be some kind of scute.

#6 and #7 appear to be scales of some sort.

#'s 10, 18, 19, 20 are small bones.

#21 - I used to know what this one is, but I forgot. It looks like an angel with spread wings.

#17 is just weird. I have found several of these that are similar, but this one is the most detailed.

#27 appears to be a shark tooth that is completed encrusted in something. 

#'s 23 through 26 appear to be claws and have a keratin-like feel to them. #23 is concave and appears to be the outer sheath of something (tooth, claw?)

#22 - bone fragment?

#29 and #30 appear to be some kind of teeth, or ?

#31 looks like a little brain - it might just be a weird rock.

Any help is appreciated.   :)

oddballs-1.jpg

oddballs-2.jpg

oddballs-3.jpg

oddballs-4.jpg

Number 9 might be an ostederm. And 30 is an alligator/ Croc tooth. 

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

N° 17 seems to be a calcareous seaweed.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

1 hour ago, Coco said:

N° 17 seems to be a calcareous seaweed.

Coco

Hi, Coco, may you teach me how to differentiate between calcareous seaweed, coral, and bryozoan? It may be easier with recent specimens, but with preservation like the one here, I find it hard to tell.

p.s. I have a new PM for you :D

OK, I will try to do a pic of a calcareous seaweed (algae) soon, I have read that somewhere in this forum in a post with a pic, but perhaps I do a mistake.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

#11 fish vert?

#12 fish vert

#13 lumbar or caudal vert maybe? Looks mammalian.

#19 looks like a small partial humerus. Maybe bird?

#20 phalange

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

9 - looks like a detached epiphysis of a cetacean bone.

10 - looks like an almost complete fish spine

21 - the 'angel with spread wings' is a ray dermal denticle, possibly stingray. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi @Bone Daddy!

Great finds! 

This is what I can help with:

#8: maybe a fish jaw?

#10: definitely a fish spine (catfish?), as previously mentioned by @abyssunder. The picture attached is a fish spine I have, found in Khouribga, Morocco. Sorry for fuzzy quality...

Best regards,

Max

IMG_7309.thumb.JPG.2c9de559a9bb0d41a1878e22d74b348c.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, dirtdauber said:

#25 and 26 appear to be sawfish rostrals (Pristis sp.).

I think you nailed this one. I found this relevant discussion in the forum archive :

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Hi @Bone Daddy!

Great finds! 

This is what I can help with:

#8: maybe a fish jaw?

#10: definitely a fish spine (catfish?), as previously mentioned by @abyssunder. The picture attached is a fish spine I have, found in Khouribga, Morocco. Sorry for fuzzy quality...

Best regards,

Max

I often see these spines on the web as "bone needles", implying they are some kind of artifact. Did paleo-indians use these in such a manner, or is this just people looking for something that isn't there? I found one example that appeared to be sharpened on one end.

I agree with those ID :

#1 ray tooth plate

#10 fish spine

#11 and #12 fish vertebrae

#13 caudal or lombal vertebra

#17 algae sea weed

#19 humerus

#20 phalange

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

10 hours ago, Coco said:

OK, I will try to do a pic of a calcareous seaweed (algae) soon, I have read that somewhere in this forum in a post with a pic, but perhaps I do a mistake.

Coco

11 hours ago, sdsnl said:

Hi, Coco, may you teach me how to differentiate between calcareous seaweed, coral, and bryozoan? It may be easier with recent specimens, but with preservation like the one here, I find it hard to tell.

p.s. I have a new PM for you :D

I don't know if this will help, but i have a calcareous coralline algae (with pink foraminifers on it).

PA030011.JPGPA030012.JPG

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

15# and 16# are others vertebrae.

In memory of Doren

27 minutes ago, fifbrindacier said:

I don't know if this will help, but i have a calcareous coralline algae (with pink foraminifers on it).

PA030011.JPGPA030012.JPG

Nice!!! Are the pink foraminiferas fossils as well? Is each pink spot one foraminifera, or a cluster of them?

I have something with a similar appearance; when magnified they look like clusters of little pink balls. The ones with a broken top look like barnacles. Are yours like that?

2 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

I often see these spines on the web as "bone needles", implying they are some kind of artifact. Did paleo-indians use these in such a manner, or is this just people looking for something that isn't there? I found one example that appeared to be sharpened on one end.

To be very honest, I have no clue whatsoever.:P My knowledge about artifacts is very limited; fossils are way more familiar to me. But an artifact amateur on this forum (I know there are many) will surely give you advice on that!

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

42 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

To be very honest, I have no clue whatsoever.:P My knowledge about artifacts is very limited; fossils are way more familiar to me. But an artifact amateur on this forum (I know there are many) will surely give you advice on that!

Best regards,

Max

Sorry to snail in:P, but i think they are called like this because of their shape.

In memory of Doren

47 minutes ago, sdsnl said:

Nice!!! Are the pink foraminiferas fossils as well? Is each pink spot one foraminifera, or a cluster of them?

I have something with a similar appearance; when magnified they look like clusters of little pink balls. The ones with a broken top look like barnacles. Are yours like that?

Each pink spot is a foraminifer. I don't see clusters of little pink balls when magnified, nor ones with a broken top. Maybe could you post yours here for identification ?

Those ones have been identified on that forum. They are Homotrema rubrum, also called sea strawberry (they really have the color for that !).

In memory of Doren

I also think #29 is a cetacean tooth and maybe #30 also, but it would be better if you showed us both the ends of it.

In memory of Doren

17 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Each pink spot is a foraminifer. I don't see clusters of little pink balls when magnified, nor ones with a broken top. Maybe could you post yours here for identification ?

Those ones have been identified on that forum. They are Homotrema rubrum, also called sea strawberry (they really have the color for that !).

Oh, then mine are different. My corals have a few encrusting things:

Red #1

1.jpg

Red #2

2.jpg

Pink balls

3.jpg

Orange brownish

4.jpg

Do you know what they are?

Try to look at them under the ultraviolet light, maybe that that is going to give a bright pink color.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Archived