Camel, Horse, Llama tooth????

LowcountryGals

Hello. My girls and I found this tooth along the banks of the Cooper River in Charleston, SC, USA, while fossil hunting. I've seen pics of horse teeth, but this appears to be more flat than the squarer horse teeth I've seen. I found a few shots of llama or camel teeth  online. You can see a bit of serration on the top of pic 3 which makes me think it definitely is a tooth, but a camel in SC? 

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

Edited by LowcountryGals

Well, camels existed in all of north america during the pleistocene or about 2 million-10,000 years. But got extinct at the beginning of the Holocene.

• I found this Informative 1

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Can't see the occlusal surface clearly, but I'm going with horse posterior lower.

• I found this Informative 2

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for taking a look! The idea of Camels roaming old South Carolina is quite intriguing! Was hoping that's what it was ;)  But an ancient horse is still pretty cool!

For all the newbies like me, here is a brief glossary from which to translate the pros answers above ;) Thanks so much for taking the time to help us learn what we've found guys! It makes the hunt so much more fun!

Hol·o·cene
ˈhäləsēn,ˈhōləˌsēn/
adjective
GEOLOGY
  1. relating to or denoting the present epoch, which is the second epoch in the Quaternary period and followed the Pleistocene.

occlusal surface of tooth. Definition: the surface of a tooth that occludes with or contacts an opposing surface of a tooth in the opposing jaw; Synonym(s): denture occlusal surface.

The cementum is the surface layer of the tooth root. Rather than being a passive entity like paint on a wall, cementum is a dynamic entity within the periodontium. It is attached to the alveolar bone by the fibers of the periodontal ligament and to the soft tissue of the gingiva by the gingival fibers * see note from Harry Pristis below

Equus is a genus of mammals in the family Equidae, which includes horses, , and zebras. .... grazing; they have large incisors that clip grass blades and highly crowned, ridged molars well suited for grinding.

Edited by LowcountryGals
  • I found this Informative 1

Just an amplification here, 'Gals:  The definition of cementum you've taken from the I'net is true enough for most mammals, including human beings.  However, some groups of animals (taxa) like horses and bovids have cementum that enshrouds each molar.  Even mammoths have this wrapping of cementum.  This cementum is not as dense as the other tooth components (enamel and dentin) and is often lost from fossils.

You can see the cementum on this newly erupting equus tooth:

horse_unerupted_lower.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest