beachcomber

Once again I'm happy to say I am able to spend a few months hunting for fossils in Florida instead of hunting for my hat and gloves

in Minnesota. I recently had the opportunity to go on a Peace River dig with Fred Mazza of Paleo Discoveries. After about fifteen years

of collecting on the beaches and in the river I managed to find my first dolphin tooth. Shoveling in the river beats the heck out of shoveling snow.

IMG_0502.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Wow , that's a beauty! About as good as it gets! Congrats!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yup. My kind of shoveling too. :) Seems a bit large for the small Long-beaked Dolphin teeth we occasionally find in the Peace River. Since dolphins are really just an informal grouping of smaller toothed whales (Odontoceti--literally, "toothed whale") I tend to just call these "whale teeth" when I find them in the Peace (especially the larger ones like your fine example). Isolated teeth are probably difficult to assign much taxonomic information to but possibly @Boesse might be able to chime in with something more specific. A real trip-maker of a find!

Cheers.

-Ken

Some sort of a small odontocete for sure - not really possible to further ID given that it's got a conical crown. Options for the Florida Miocene include kentriodontids, though others could be possible as well.

• I found this Informative 2