Fossilized clam with strange banding?

LowcountryGals

While shark tooth hunting on Daniel Island in South Carolina, USA, fossilized clams are quite ubiquitous. So much so that my girls don't even pick them up. I love their round smooth shape so I collect them. I found this interesting one yesterday (low tide, January 2017) along the banks of the Cooper River. It has two smaller bands across one side. My hopes are that it is some sort of Indian artifact, though I know it's not  likely. Anyone recognize what might have made these bands?

IMG_2646.JPG

IMG_2647.JPG

IMG_2648.JPG

1 hour ago, ynot said:

The fossil looks like a steinkern and the mark could be where a tube worm was on the shell.

Tony

I don't know, I can't really see a clam here...tube worms aren't usually that straight and they would be on the outside on the shell, so won't leave a mark on an internal steinkern. If the clam was dead and already open, with tube worms encrusting the inside, then the steinkern would be thicker and much of it would have been in contact with other matrix the whole time, making it hard to separate, so it will probably have some weird break ends.

1 minute ago, sdsnl said:

I don't know, I can't really see a clam here...tube worms aren't usually that straight and they would be on the outside on the shell, so won't leave a mark on an internal steinkern. If the clam was dead and already open, with tube worms encrusting the inside, then the steinkern would be thicker and much of it would have been in contact with other matrix the whole time, making it hard to separate, so it will probably have some weird break ends.

Possably why it looks so little like a clam.

Tony

PS You could be correct.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Archived