Tool overload

ischua

I have basic tools for preparation. I tried the Harbor Freight Air Eraser with no luck and I have the Dremel Engraver with assorted points. Right now everything is on hold till I get thru information overload.

I have saved enough to purchase one good piece of equipment. I have looked at a lot of stuff and now I need a push. Do I go all out and get a MicronBlaster or is there something everyone likes better?     

Do you have a compressor already? My All Air Products air scribe was a great investment. I got the tip they made just for paleontology too. Great tool for a great price.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, TNCollector said:

Do you have a compressor already? My All Air Products air scribe was a great investment. I got the tip they made just for paleontology too. Great tool for a great price.

I have plenty of air and power. I looked at the All Air Products web page I like it (thanks). I take it need to call to get a price and order?   Any ideas for a good blaster too?

Depends on what you like to work on or which fossils you would most commonly work with.

Starting with a good air-scribe might be a better option rather than jumping to a blaster. Usually you would need to get a blast cabinet etc for an air eraser or micro blaster. I started out with engravers and then progressed to air scribes. Engravers are good, but no where near as good as scribes. It's like a butter knife vs a samurai sword. My engravers overheated and I had to switch them out (I had several) to let them cool.

I went for Paleotools products, although some people say they are expensive - you get what you pay for. I would get an "all rounder" for starters. Something that can be turned up for a bit of bulk removal and turned down for finer work.

Theres a lot of info out there, but also a lot of experience and helpful folk in here.

Good luck with the transition. 

here's s few other posts where people have asked a similar question - hope this doesn't contribute to information overload!

A great primer on all things to do with fossil prep:

9 hours ago, ischua said:

I have plenty of air and power. I looked at the All Air Products web page I like it (thanks). I take it need to call to get a price and order?   Any ideas for a good blaster too?

Give them a call and tell them what you're looking for, they will take care of you. My whole setup was less than $200. I work on some very hard limestone and have not had a single problem with the scribe.

For an air eraser, I use a Paasche Air Eraser. It is a good tool. I built my own blasting cabinet, but buying one would be easier. You will need an air pump to exhaust the dust somewhere safe. The dust, if breathed in, can be very hazardous to your lungs, which is why I rarely ever use my eraser. I use dolomite purchased from a pottery supply store as media, which is cheap and works well.

I completely agree with @Doctor Mud. Get a good air scribe first. I put way more miles on my scribes than I do my micro-abrasive unit. I have an Aro and a Chicago Pneumatics CP9361.

My Aro has a long stylus from Paleo Tools for more detailed work while the CP9361 has the stock point for bulk removal.

I have used several Paleo Tools scribes in the lab at the Perot and they are excellent pieces of equipment. By searching for good deals and being patient, I was able to purchase both scribes for the cost of one Paleo Tools scribe.

Check the website www.stonecompany.com for the finest air scribe tools in the world. These are handmade in Germany and are VERY pricey, but you get what you pay for. They run at a very low psi, are self lubricating, and will provide a lifetime of near maintenance free operation. No stalling issues like most other airscribes. Also, check ebay as used scribes regularly are listed under fossil preparation tools.