Peace River surface finds

Fishconner10

We started the day with trailer troubles, the brake lights had to be replaced, but my dad could do it so we got to the river at 1:20. We put in my gheenoe at Gardner and since my brother with no interest in fossils was with us we had to go there for the deeper water. 4 minutes of boating later the motor overheated so we paddled a little to the nearest promising area. We saw a nice area and dug for 30 minutes and found tons of shark teeth. Then my dad went a little was away while eating to scout fish, I walked while eating later and after 30 seconds of walking I pulled up a nice turtle shell fragment on top of the sand. With that we quit digging and my brother walked with us then went back to fish. My dad and I walked a little and found a old jar ,that sadly broke later, but we kept going and right in top my dad saw 2 old marbles. We continued walking in hopes of more. After a few hours of hunting we ended with a chunk of mammoth tooth 59 bone fragments, a big bone section and some other odds and ends all in my two pockets by the way. On the way back with me struggling to keep my shorts up we arrived at their spot we found the marbles and 3 more had reappeared. Thanks for reading

IMG_0596.JPGthe finds of the day a alligator tooth a bit of coral a worn horse tooth and all the other stuff previously mentioned 

Great finds, that pathological tooth is nice:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Dangit if I would've known those marbles were that old I wouldn't have thrown back the one or two I've found lol. But nice finds

11 minutes ago, Cam28 said:

Dangit if I would've known those marbles were that old I wouldn't have thrown back the one or two I've found lol. But nice finds

Wow those are rare too the president of the southwest florida fossil society only has found 12

Great finds!!! Sounds like you are relatively new to this hobby, I have been hunting the Peace River for 8 years now, but I started later in life.

We had a gorgeous day, The river was cool in the morning and then the sun came out and warmed everything up. The Peace River is beautiful and serene and can provide memories that can last a lifetime.

I was on the river today also, maybe 10 miles upstream of your group. Here is my favorite find of the day.  Broken, but note the cusp.  IMG_2015meg.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

30 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Great finds!!! Sounds like you are relatively new to this hobby, I have been hunting the Peace River for 8 years now, but I started later in life.

We had a gorgeous day, The river was cool in the morning and then the sun came out and warmed everything up. The Peace River is beautiful and serene and can provide memories that can last a lifetime.

I was on the river today also, maybe 10 miles upstream of your group. Here is my favorite find of the day.  Broken, but note the cusp.  IMG_2015meg.JPG

Nice auriculitis, you are right I'm only 14 but I've been 5 times and I'm learning 

1 hour ago, Fishconner10 said:

Nice auriculitis, you are right I'm only 14 but I've been 5 times and I'm learning 

See this thread. No RICs, CHUBs or ANGYs in the Peace River because the Peace River Formation is too recent geologically speaking.  You should form an opinion based on how you interpret the factual statements and check what your fossil club president believes. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

10 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

See this thread. No RICs, CHUBs or ANGYs in the Peace River because the Peace River Formation is too recent geologically speaking.  You should form an opinion based on how you interpret the factual statements and check what your fossil club president believes. SS

I read in a book and other posts that the rarely but possibly auriculitis teeth have been found in north Florida, chubs are possible it seems

Nice trip report--looks like you had fun. I've only found two marbles on the Peace. Mine are (by the looks of it) smaller and much more worn in the surface. Never could quite get a date range on them but these modern artifacts rest proudly on a bowl of thousands of shark teeth (along with a gold ring and tie tack found at one site).

Cheers.

-Ken

12 hours ago, Fishconner10 said:

I read in a book and other posts that the rarely but possibly auriculitis teeth have been found in north Florida, chubs are possible it seems

Go back to your books, Fishconner10.  The auriculatus (note the spelling) in North Florida are Eocene-Oligocene.  The teeth in Bone Valley are Mio-Pliocene.  Juvenile megalodon teeth sometimes have lateral cusps, as is the case with shellseeker's tooth.  No chubutensis, either.

Carcharocles sokolowi is a relatively new name for the familiar megatooth sharks from the Late Eocene-Oligocene limestones of Florida. It was described in 1990 as a distinct species, Carcharodon sokolowi, separate from the more-familiar Carcharocles auriculatus.  The species may be converted to Carcharocles and the new trivial name is accepted.

carcharodonsokolowitrio.jpg

shark_auriculatussynonomy.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Marbles.  I've found the earliest marbles in the Santa Fe River.  One glazed ceramic, and a number of unglazed ceramic.  I believe that when marbles were available, they were used as projectiles from slingshots.  Targets might have been turtles or birds on the river.  A slingshot is silent and deadly on small game, not likely to attract unwanted attention from hostiles in frontier Florida or from game wardens ln later decades.

What seest thou else

The "marbles" that I've found on the Peace River all appear to be ceramic and not glass. The brown one appears as if it might be earthenware (possibly with a salt glaze). The white one is slightly irregular and might be a more vitreous porcelain-like material. The yellow one appears to have been glazed to achieve the bright color. Never figured out if these objects were for playing with, launching from a sling shot, or used in something like a ball mill. They certainly stand out as oddities when they do turn up in your sifting screen.

Cheers.

-Ken

P1160021.jpg

9 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Go back to your books, Fishconner10.  The auriculatus (note the spelling) in North Florida are Eocene-Oligocene.  The teeth in Bone Valley are Mio-Pliocene.  Juvenile megalodon teeth sometimes have lateral cusps, as is the case with shellseeker's tooth.  No chubutensis, either.

Carcharocles sokolowi is a relatively new name for the familiar megatooth sharks from the Late Eocene-Oligocene limestones of Florida. It was described in 1990 as a distinct species, Carcharodon sokolowi, separate from the more-familiar Carcharocles auriculatus.  The species may be converted to Carcharocles and the new trivial name is accepted.

Fishconner, As Harry notes above, we are discussing the different Megatooth shark teeth between the Eocene-Oligocene locations in North Florida and the Mio-Pliocene location that encompasses the Peace River in Bone Valley. We can not be finding Eocene level shark teeth in Miocene strata.

Harry, I know the tooth in the left of this photo is a juvenile Megalodon with cusps because I found it it the Peace River.

Meg&Ric.jpg

I am not clear on a couple of points.

1) I see a few websites selling white_rooted Bone Valley C. Chubutensis.  Can the identification be correct?

2) I have always thought that the Peace River cut through Miocene strata to add Megs to the fossils I could find. What if anything sits under Hawthorn Group. Peace River formation. Please point me to existing documentation if available.  

Thanks,  Jack

15 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Fishconner, As Harry notes above, we are discussing the different Megatooth shark teeth between the Eocene-Oligocene locations in North Florida and the Mio-Pliocene location that encompasses the Peace River in Bone Valley. We can not be finding Eocene level shark teeth in Miocene strata.

Harry, I know the tooth in the left of this photo is a juvenile Megalodon with cusps because I found it it the Peace River.

Meg&Ric.jpg

I am not clear on a couple of points.

1) I see a few websites selling white_rooted Bone Valley C. Chubutensis.  Can the identification be correct?

2) I have always thought that the Peace River cut through Miocene strata to add Megs to the fossils I could find. What if anything sits under Hawthorn Group. Peace River formation. Please point me to existing documentation if available.  

Thanks,  Jack

Fossil sales web-sites are not reliable for identification purposes.

I believe that the Hawthorn Group is underlain by Oligocene carbonates which are not exposed.  For collector purposes, the Tampa Member and the Nocatee Member of the Arcadia Formation are the earliest rocks exposed in the Peace River.  These are Latest Oligocene or Early Miocene.  The Arcadia Formation is the (relatively) hard limestone you must drag your canoe across at low water.  The Tampa Member is the source of agatized coral.

More information in THE GEOLOGY OF FLORIDA, Randazzo & Jones (1997).

What seest thou else

Archived