Madagascar Coprolites!!!

Ramon

I bought some coprolites ( Mineralized dung) that came from Madagascar. I have some questions. What is the real age of them? Some sellers on the Internet say it's from the Eocene, others say it's from the pliocene. What animal did they come from? They were labeled as turtle coprolites. And last, Are they really coprolites? They could easily be concretions or some other geological thing. I have not been able to find much information.

Here's a pic

20170115_170529.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I have mine labelled as

Turtle Coprolite

72.1 - 61.2 mya (late Cretaceous to Paleocene)
Mahajanga, Madagascar

Admittedly though, their ID is problematic. I am seeking more info on these as well.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yeah, looking forward to get more information about this.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Hey ramon.

Several geologists have told me these are limonite concretions. Still others agree they are "turds" 

I no longer sell them since Noone can agree!

That is a decent sized one you have there!

54 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Hey ramon.

Several geologists have told me these are limonite concretions. Still others agree they are "turds" 

I no longer sell them since Noone can agree!

That is a decent sized one you have there!

Yeah, I had a feeling that these could be concretions.

And the biggest one is 9 cm!!!

• 2 weeks later...

These are claimed to be coprolites encased in Siderite, and come from Besiboko of Mahjanga, Madagascar according to two dealer sites I checked.

Can anyone verify this?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Im like Blake.  I had an intire bucket of this stuff and gave it to a friend of mine cause no one really knew what they were?

RB