i assume bone? big brook nj

brad hinkelman

Your fossil looks like a mosasaur vertebrae, like in the photo below.

1207250013-mosasaur.vertebra.001.thumb.png

• I found this Informative 1

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

7 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

Yep, I would also label it Mosasaur vert.

Nice find!

awesome thanks!!!!

I agree that it looks like bone, and mosasaur vert does seem like a possibility. If you want a fun way to check whether it's really bone, you could try to lick it, as @FossilDudeCO said some time ago!

Scroll a little bit down, and you'll learn that licking fossils is a good way to see whether it's bone!:D

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

The way it's worn seems very consistent with some Mosasaur verts that can be found in Morocco. What's left of the shape also seems to fit.

So I would agree that it's possibly the remains of a Mosasaur vert centrum. Judging by the size and length I'd say it's terminal caudal. So near the end of the tail.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I agree that it looks like bone, and mosasaur vert does seem like a possibility. If you want a fun way to check whether it's really bone, you could try to lick it, as @FossilDudeCO said some time ago!

Scroll a little bit down, and you'll learn that licking fossils is a good way to see whether it's bone!:D

Best regards,

Max

:)

I agree with a mosasaur vert that's badly eroded. I have one that looks like the one you posted here....never the less its a cool find. 

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.