What is this?????

Ramon

I found this while fossil hunting in Houston, Texas. I really don't know what this is. It fragramented while digging it up. This is one of the weirdest things I have found, Thanks!!!

20170115_222959.jpg20170115_222955(0).jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Here's a photo of the break

20170115_222940.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Maybe not chert, because it's super light weight!!!

Looks like really old caulk or dried paint....

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It's certainly odd looking but lacks any of the symmetry we watch for in fossils of living things or even trace fossils. Either radial or bilateral symmetry or both is usually the most obvious clue to remains of former life. Surface textures that appears different from the surrounding rock is one of the other clues but this doesn't look like any life form I'm familiar with.

1 minute ago, BobWill said:

It's certainly odd looking but lacks any of the symmetry we watch for in fossils of living things or even trace fossils. Either radial or bilateral symmetry or both is usually the most obvious clue to remains of former life. Surface textures that appears different from the surrounding rock is one of the other clues but this doesn't look like any life form I'm familiar with.

That's because it may not even be a fossil. That's why I did this post, because I wasn't sure it was a fossil.

8 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Looks like really old caulk or dried paint....

Yes, it looks cast to me on the top right of the first picture, the smooth regular grooves made me think it is man made, like concrete or plaster.

I thought weathered limestone maybe with trace fossils until I noticed that.

It looks to me like consolidated cement from a bag. :blink:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks to everyone!!! I think we can all agree it is not biological. After all, that's why I did this post because I wasn't sure it was a fossil.

Archived