The Saga Of The Wali-sabre...

Frank Menser

post-1313-1245254349_thumb.jpg

(Some background for those who came in late)

!n 2007 while hunting the GMR in North Carolina I found a fragment of what appeared to be a tooth or tusk. A friend IDed this as a Sloth tooth and it remained labeled as such on my shelf for over a year.

On a whim I posted it here on fossil Forum where it was IDed as a Walrus tusk.

Then a new friend, Ken a GS with the Department of Paleonotolgy, University Of Kansas - who has done several preps on cats for them (apparently this is where the major research on SC's is going on) saw the tooth(?) and gave his opinion. That it was part of a Sabrecat fang. He took extensive photos to show to the University and Joe Babiarz a Sabrecat expert and collector in AZ.

I then took the fossil to fossil fest where Paleo Ron saw it and stated that it was definitely a Walrus tusk.

Ok...Ron presented his arguements well and...well... case closed... :)

...or so I thought.

Got an Email from Ken this morning. JB IDed it as the root portion of a Sabre Cat fang.

Now is there anyone else here besides me that is pulling out what's left of their hair? :faint:

(Ron...see it isn't me being bullheaded).

The saga continues..............

On a more cheery note, Ken told me a book on Sabecats is due to be released in fall 2010.

Be true to the reality you create.

Yeah..both sides on this are pretty adamant in their opinion.

I'm just sitting in the middle with a rock in my hand... :faint:

Yeah..both sides on this are pretty adamant in their opinion.

I'm just sitting in the middle with a rock in my hand... :faint:

Why don't you just send the piece to John Babiarz! He's a collector, not an institutional paleontologist, and John's not likely to forget to send it back to you. ID from images is not the same as holding a fossil in your hand.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Why don't you just send the piece to John Babiarz! He's a collector, not an institutional paleontologist, and John's not likely to forget to send it back to you. ID from images is not the same as holding a fossil in your hand.

Good idea!

Photos only show so much...(Ironically though, that was what I was saying when it was on the forum). As it stands, Ron and Ken both held it in their hands and came up with different ID's. Will have to send it to John.

What..am I going for a tie breaker here? :D

Either one is an excellent find in my book.

Might want to create your own ID...

Walrus Fang or Sabrecat Tusk :D

Good idea!

Photos only show so much...(Ironically though, that was what I was saying when it was on the forum). As it stands, Ron and Ken both held it in their hands and came up with different ID's. Will have to send it to John.

What..am I going for a tie breaker here? :D

Frank - for a tie breaker, you might check with Larry Martin at the Univ of Kansas. He has done extensive work with the saber cats.

Frank - for a tie breaker, you might check with Larry Martin at the Univ of Kansas. He has done extensive work with the saber cats.

I just heard from Ken (KU), he said the Prof he wants to show it to is in China right now...Could this be the same guy?

I just heard from Ken (KU), he said the Prof he wants to show it to is in China right now...Could this be the same guy?

most likely. Larry is the head of the Vert Paleo Dept and specializes in cats and orig of flight.

Ken said that is the guy we are waiting for. He gets back Tuesday. As it turns out Larry is his Faculty advisor.

I would label it "sabertooth tusk", or "walrus fang". Of course, if you don't want improperly labeled material in your collection, you can send it to me, it'll feel right at home.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen