Unknown Fossil from Guatemala

robertd

Found a large amount of these up in the mountains in Huehuetenango, Guatemala, near Laguna de Magdalena, approximately 3,200 meters above sea level.

Immediately assumed it was a type of coral, especially considering the area was at the bottom of the ocean 300+ million years ago.

Does any one have any idea what this is? Is it in fact coral?  Any idea what kind, if so?

DSCN9944.JPG

DSCN9946.JPG

I am not seeing any coral structures to this item - looks more like some sort of calcified burrows or worm tubes. :unsure: 

Wait for some more opinions, though. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's cool.  I googled Tube Worm Shells and it definitely resembles it a lot.

What would that be exactly?  Is it still a fossil?  Why is it hollow like this?  

Is it actually fossilized Tube Worms, or remains of what covered them when they died or something?

And am I right in assuming it's Calcite all over?

What about Tufa?  Another forum (a mineral forum) is suggesting that it is probably Tufa, and not Tube Worms.  Thoughts?

6 minutes ago, robertd said:

What about Tufa?  Another forum (a mineral forum) is suggesting that it is probably Tufa, and not Tube Worms.  Thoughts?

I agree with tufa

Either way I think they look pretty awesome.  

What exactly is Tufa?  Is that still considered a mineral?

So it would be like this calcite rich water surrounded a bunch of roots or plants, then the plants died away, and this is what remains?

They looks to be calcified roots,leaves,branches of plants. Try to compare with these that I've found in Romania, in a Karst region:

post-17588-0-70152400-1454010323.jpgpost-17588-0-32232200-1454010407.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

They looks to be calcified roots,leaves,branches of plants. Try to compare with these that I've found in Romania, in a Karst region:

post-17588-0-70152400-1454010323.jpgpost-17588-0-32232200-1454010407.jpg

Yup, looks just like this.  Some had the leaves imprinted as well.

Pretty cool.

Have you tried selling them?  Is there any interest?  

Any idea of average costs for something like this?

3 minutes ago, robertd said:

Yup, looks just like this.  Some had the leaves imprinted as well.

Pretty cool.

Have you tried selling them?  Is there any interest?  

Per the Forum Rules and Community Standards:

"Please understand that The Fossil Forum cannot appraise the commercial value of a fossil; this is beyond what can be done through pictures on the internet, so please don't ask.

That being said, I don't think there is a big interest in this kind of mineral/fossil.

I also do not see any plant imprints on your item. :unsure: 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, robertd said:

I'm not an admin, but i know that according to the forum rules, people are NOT allowed to give price estimations on fossils, as monetary value is not appreciated/appraised.

Otherwise your thing is pretty cool, I wonder what it is!

It does have some similarity with worm tubes, and the thing @abyssunder showed. In my opinion, Tufa seems less probable.

Here is a pic of some worm tubes I recently found; though they are much younger than the age you estimate yours at. (Mine are from the Miocene)

Best regards,

Max

image.thumb.jpg.b0c5187e5956fa502785e72eda609bf2.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Per the Forum Rules and Community Standards:

"Please understand that The Fossil Forum cannot appraise the commercial value of a fossil; this is beyond what can be done through pictures on the internet, so please don't ask.

That being said, I don't think there is a big interest in this kind of mineral/fossil.

I also do not see any plant imprints on your item. :unsure: 

Regards,

Seems like Tim beat me by 2 minutes!:P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I'm pretty sure those are plant remains, mostly stem fragments, branches and leaves. In the below picture(cropped from the first image) is a leaf fragment with the venation visible.

DSCN9944.JPG.d5276b865b7edbe339e40d51feee0900.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived