Post Oak Creek 01-14-17

Jakuzi

Headed to Post Oak with @Buffalo Bill Cody

Was a record day for Ptychodus for me with a total of 8 teeth found.  Also found 2 good looking mammal teeth not sure what the first smaller one is as it didn't resemble anything I came across online the second is bison/cow leaning towards cow after the revelation in Codys post.  Also found this cool Rexall Drug Store bottle with a glass stopper that Cody found later(almost prefect fit).  

IMG_4744.JPG

Really cool finds! In your first pic, what species is the sharktooth that is 2nd row down, 3rd one in?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

1 hour ago, darctooth said:

Really cool finds! In your first pic, what species is the sharktooth that is 2nd row down, 3rd one in?

Using all the powers of the internet I'm going with Cretodus(correct me if you think differently).   Here's some others I've found out at PO with the top left being the one mentioned.  Some real heart breakers there.  One day I'll get that big complete guy.

IMG_4751.JPG

11 minutes ago, darctooth said:

Those top 2 are pretty nice even if they aren't big.

Oh yeah I'm supper stoked every time I find a perf no matter the size.   Though the potential big perf definitely keeps me going.

I will always take a smaller perfect tooth over a bigger broken one any day! But I am always on the lookout for the big prefect one as well.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice finds!

The stopper is from a lea & perrins worcestershire sauce bottle not the rexall bottle.

Tony

Yeah Cody found the stopper later on.  Assumed from the size and color it belonged to something else. Cool info.  Any idea the age of the bottle?

11 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

The rest of the shark shards that I found and a close up of the chewing surface of the mystery tooth. 

IMG_4747.PNG

I believe this is a bovid lower premolar three, probably from a cow.

bisonteethocclusal.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

5 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Nice finds. 

Thanks Jarrod.   I've got a job that puts me about half way to Sulphur and was thinking with the recent storms maybe some stuff would turn up.  From the rain gauge it looks like the river went up about 4 feet(if I'm reading it right).  I'm heading out Friday do you think some of the mud would be washed away or maybe the opposite?

The NSR finally got a much needed wash. It's almost always muddy but Friday should be prime! I was thinking of going myself. Nice finds from post oak btw. One of my favorite local creeks.

1 hour ago, Koldsimer said:

The NSR finally got a much needed wash. It's almost always muddy but Friday should be prime! I was thinking of going myself. Nice finds from post oak btw. One of my favorite local creeks.

Awesome! I'll definitely be going on Friday then.  The job I have should be done pretty early allowing nearly a full day of hunting.  I'll be well prepared for the mud.  It'd be awesome to meet up with somebody.  I'm new to fossil hunting so I'm still looking for hints/advice.  I was thinking of trying the 2990 bridge since I haven't been there and it looks to have a lot of gravel bars.  

Let me know if you'd like to meet up.  If you have a better idea on what bridge I should hunt at let me know.

14 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Thanks Jarrod.   I've got a job that puts me about half way to Sulphur and was thinking with the recent storms maybe some stuff would turn up.  From the rain gauge it looks like the river went up about 4 feet(if I'm reading it right).  I'm heading out Friday do you think some of the mud would be washed away or maybe the opposite?

NSR is good right now. It's muddy but the rains washed quite a few verts into the river etc. I hate I'm at work lol. 

You guys found some nice teeth.  Love the bottle as well.  I was so excited about the water level rise this week that I took tomorrow off.  I'll be in the NSR just after sun up.  If its productive, I'll be back on Friday as well. :) 

12 hours ago, David E. said:

You guys found some nice teeth.  Love the bottle as well.  I was so excited about the water level rise this week that I took tomorrow off.  I'll be in the NSR just after sun up.  If its productive, I'll be back on Friday as well. :) 

Good luck David. I'm jealous that I'm work after the rise lol. 

Archived