Where to look and how to practice?

FuzzyPhoton

So I am from South Jersey and live very close to Rowan university's recently acquired fossil pit (the inversand marl pit). I know from personal experience that there are fossils in the area, as a kid I used to find tons of what I am fairly sure are Belemnites in the creek behind my development and surrounding wooded area. I am curious how I should go about looking for more in the surrounding area, there is a fairly large area of woods with the creek behind my parents place. There is also a local nature trail nearby. I would like to know what to look for and what I can expect in this kind of area. 

I am also interested in exposing and preparing fossils in my spare time but am having a hard time finding any for sale and don't know if my area will lend its self to finding any interesting fossils requiring exposing/prepping. If you know of anyplace selling them or any local areas that aren't too terribly far that I could go looking I would appreciate the information.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

As far as prepping fossils:

You can search Unprepared Fossils on auction websites. 

Also Fossil Fish Prep Kits are easily found. 

As far as what is found in your area - check HERE

You might consider joining a club in your area, to meet up with more experienced individuals, and get access to field trips. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would second that prepping sentiment. There's a lot of good stuff available for sale on the internet. Personally I have a soft spot for the Maastrichtian Moroccan material. Pieces of matrix with mosasaur and fish material in it is generally fairly cheap compared to many other fossils. It's also really good practice material since it's generally fairly soft.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thank you guys for the advice, I haven't had a ton of luck finding any decent auctions but I will keep looking. This is a hobby I have wanted to do since I was a kid and am finally getting serious about it.