New to buying dino teeth and trying to ID this one?

cnhm

Hi! New fossil collector and forum member :)
My friend gave me this tooth which she found in an antique shop in Georgia USA, she said she thought it was a hadrosaur tooth, which it doesn't look anything of the sort to me! Looks more like a carnivore tooth except there are no serrations. I would guess spinosaur tooth but it seems unusually fat and an odd shape in general compared to a lot of the pics I've seen? Perhaps a croc? I don't have the experience to have much confidence in my own assessments so I would appreciate it if somebody would share some wisdom ;) 
Thank you!! :)

tooth.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Looks like a whale tooth to me, but wait for some other opinions.  
Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Looks like a whale tooth to me, but wait for some other opinions.  
Regards,

I beat You this time!!!:P

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I beat You this time!!!:P

Tony

:P

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I concur with whale. Did thought it might've been croc but they don't have roots like that.

Modern whale teeth

BSLL6KmKiAw2X33W42VmTHKo.jpeg whale.jpg Whale 2.JPG

Prehistoric and modern whale teeth

e72ee1528dc17e31997da24024201134.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Thank you for your time everybody! Mmm that's a bit of a shame, my friend spent a bit of money on it thinking it was a dinosaur fossil :/

In the interests of learning, what were the main things that made you say "oh yes that's a whale tooth?" 

Hi,

Andy, are you sure that the teeth which you show come from a whale (the pic with 5 teeth) ? That looks like strangely recent teeth of hippopotamus !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

56 minutes ago, cnhm said:

Thank you for your time everybody! Mmm that's a bit of a shame, my friend spent a bit of money on it thinking it was a dinosaur fossil :/

In the interests of learning, what were the main things that made you say "oh yes that's a whale tooth?" 

Sorry to hear that. Now that your friend and you know about TFF, you could always post here before purchasing anything. There are lotsa experts here ready to help.

The size firstly. There's only so many predatory animals that can have such large teeth, and the shape of whale teeth are unlike theropods, bears and felines. Whale teeth also have a cross section that reminds me of a hollowed-out tusk.

19 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Andy, are you sure that the teeth which you show come from a whale (the pic with 5 teeth) ? That looks like strangely recent teeth of hippopotamus !

Coco

They apparently came from a killer whale. I did a search, and whale teeth are fatter and less symmetrical compared to extant hippo teeth.

Whale
post-2070-1235321887.jpg

Hippo

product-1295-main-original-1415042478.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Oh... I have to do pics of mine !

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, -Andy- said:

Sorry to hear that. Now that your friend and you know about TFF, you could always post here before purchasing anything. There are lotsa experts here ready to help.

The size firstly. There's only so many predatory animals that can have such large teeth, and the shape of whale teeth are unlike theropods, bears and felines. Whale teeth also have a cross section that reminds me of a hollowed-out tusk.

Thank you for the advice! And yes I will be sure to post on the forum with any future queries :) It's not a disaster anyway! I'm mostly a dinosaur enthusiast, but it's hard to complain about such a nice specimen of something else :)

Would you be able to recommend any good books or resources on ID'ing teeth and fossils, especially dinos? I've read the (not very many) web pages that come up on google that offer basic advice about triceratops teeth etc, but I'd really like to be more knowledgeable in general. How do you guys get to know so much about teeth etc? I can't seem to get too far with the University of Google ;)

Hi,

Here is a pic of my teeth I was thinking they are hippopotamus ! Whale or hippopotamus ? That is the question...

t8m71h.jpg

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...