Who can it be now?

Ol'M8

Hey guys!

Have been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join the discussion after finding something interesting while out on a dig with my room mate.

We live in Perth WA and found this. It's long and consistent in width. We've spent a few hours online but couldn't find anything looking too similar.

Would anyone have an idea on what this is? We will probably end up going to the local museum or university but thought we'd take the opportunity to say hi :)

Any advise is going to be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1821.JPG

Edited by Ol'M8

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Can we see some more pictures of the item - lengthwise, both ends, both sides?

Right now, to me it looks like a concretion.  Other photos may tell us more, though.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum. Judging by this single picture, I'm also seeing a concretion here. Perhaps upload a few more pictures at different angles, preferably in natural light.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hey guys!

Thanks for the responses. We had no idea where to start looking to to find out what this is, sorry if this topic was misplaced.

Ill attach another picture of that same piece but of the other side. There are 3 peices in total, with more still more at the location. 

Tomorrow, I'll try to dust them off and take some pictures in natural light.

Cheers,

IMG_1822.JPG

The title of this post made me think if the song of the same title by Men at Work.

Oh, and back to your question sorry,

Not seeing anything obviously fossil here, could be some sort of sedimentary structure or concretion like @ynot said.

You said its long? Can we see it from the side? It could also be a trace fossil or the remains of the burrow of an animal.

1 minute ago, Doctor Mud said:

The title of this post made me think if the song of the same title by Men at Work.

Oh, and back to your question sorry,

Not seeing anything obviously fossil here, could be some sort of sedimentary structure or concretion like @ynot said.

You said its long? Can we see it from the side? It could also be a trace fossil or the remains of the burrow of an animal.

Haha yes that was my intention, had the song stuck in my head all afternoon!

I will add more photos tomorrow. I now at least have an idea on what Google now to compare :)

3 minutes ago, Ol'M8 said:

Haha yes that was my intention, had the song stuck in my head all afternoon!

I will add more photos tomorrow. I now at least have an idea on what Google now to compare :)

Yes - it's contagious. I realized you were from WA after I posted and thought the song title wasn't a coincidence.

Good old Wikipedia has a good primer on concretions: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concretion

And look up trace fossils, sometimes called ichnofossils: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_fossil

... knocking at my door...

youve just interfered with thousands of minds.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hey again!

Here is a link to some more pictures as promised. Let me know if you have any problems viewing them.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZItds

Hopefully they articulate what I was trying to describe earlier. I also added a picture of that was still left at the site, I am not too sure how far it goes back. 

Cheers :)

I would say this looks like a trace fossil or the remains of an animal burrow. The inside has been filled with iron oxides by the looks of it. It looks like the rock around  the burrow is harder? Burrows can sometimes be sites for concretion formation, so perhaps it could be labeled as both, concretion and trace fossil.

No idea what could have formed it. Are the walls "bumpy" or globular. I couldn't tell from the pictures. I ask as it reminds me of an ophiomorpha (shrimp) burrow:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiomorpha

I took some more pictures for you after we cleaned them up and put them under some better lighting. You are correct about the "burrow" being harder. I added an A4 piece of paper to give you an idea on size. As you can see it pretty straight with sight curves here and there. The position of the darker circle seems to move around as you can see from the different shots of the ends.

https://imgur.com/gallery/80jPr

My room mate and I will be returning to the site tomorrow so we can have a look to see if there are any other formations like this close by.

Will keep you posted :)