Urban fossil dumpster hunting / diving

edd

Crazy story... I recently started work with the Port of Miami in Florida, while at work and on a brake i was hiding from the rain that we usually get here every day, and walking around day dreaming about fossils since I haven't hunted in years, when all of a sudden I see this weird looking flat spiral shape in a puddle next to a garbage bin, I thought to my self that there's no way that it might be a fossil, I must be losing it and seeing things,must be some sort of metal washer or garbage but decided to give it a better look... and there it was , an ammonite in the most unlikeliest places, I snatched it pretty fast and put it in my pocket. I thought someone had it as a pendant and lost it but after 5 mins I decided to go back and give it another look.... and there it was, another one and then a trilobite and after that a horn coral, there were broken pieces scattered all over the pavement that led to a garbage bin so of course I had to look inside and there were more broken and whole pieces of different sorts of Moroccan fossils that were wrapped at one point in a Moroccan newspaper. I eventually jumped in and picked up as much as I could, handfuls of broken shark teeth, some minerals, orthoceras, etc. Most of them were completely broken and beyond repair or restoration, a.k.a dust. Some even ended up in the gutter but managed to get my hand in there and save whatever I could. I took a photo of the best pieces, hope this makes it in the " Fossil of the Month " ;). 

DSC_0516.JPG

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

This has to be by far the coolest dumpster dive I ever heard of!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Graphic content 

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

someone is still wondering where their package is!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

34 minutes ago, edd said:

hope this makes it in the " Fossil of the Month " ;)

:rofl:  Definitely not a native find.  :D

Yet, your fortuitous acquisition hints at a sad story.... 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with that... 

Wow!!! One of the coolest thing I have ever heard of. I like the trilobites. :D

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

That is shocking and horrifying... Who is throwing out fossils? Broken ones can be repaired as long as they are not completely disintegrated.. Shame!

Good on you for thinking to go back and look!

Incredible !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

someone is still wondering where their package is!!

This was a FF members Secret Santa gift that has not arrived.

You wouldn't believe all the cool stuff I get out of dumpsters, and yes several times I've gotten nice specimens. I've even cried at what I've seen (boxes of fossils)  being dumped into them !

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Good job ed.  20 years from now there will be a TFF new member that tells the story of his mom throwing away his old rocks in 2017.  

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

???

I've found some pretty neat stuff dumpster diving, but never anything like this! Glad you could rescue the fossils for the most part.

4 hours ago, sTamprockcoin said:

You wouldn't believe all the cool stuff I get out of dumpsters, and yes several times I've gotten nice specimens. I've even cried at what I've seen (boxes of fossils)  being dumped into them !

You mean this happens more often that we might think?

That would be crazy, if this happens more than this one time ... the area I found those, was the comercial export / import of the big trucks. I'm going back there to check it out on a regular basis from now on.

Archived