Urban fossil dumpster hunting / diving

edd

Maybe not so cool !!!! A shipment of Moroccan fossils in a large shiping container was recently dropped and destroyed in the port of Miami whilist unloading. These were bound for the Tuscon show.

Another container was dropped on top of it. This destroyed many of the fossils,  the liveliood of a number of people is now in jepody.

These fossils may have been from that container, and the property of some one, disposal of these fossils could be illegal !  May be not conected but a coincidence?

A bit off subject, but when I lived in a large apartment complex in Washington, there were 12 dumpster sites.  On my off time I would scout out the offerings of those that moved away and didn't want to take the extra items.  Antiques, stereo and video equipment, books, etc., etc.Just about anything was discarded.

I would go to the swap meet on weekends and get an average of $300 - $400.00 a week of supplemental income from stuff people throw away. You just never know unless you check.

Your finds look like broken discards from a show.  Those vendors aren't going to pay for shipping back to Morocco on broken items.  If you were to stick around those type of booths after the Tucson shows, you would likely find much the same thing.

I found quite a few mineral items left behind by vendors in Quartzite. It's just not worth the time and effort to pack up and ship damaged items.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I have found much treasure in dumpsters, I think of fossiling, Native American midden piles and urban dumpsters, as equally, opportune, sites to find, gold !