Good start for the New Year

sTamprockcoin

Went out yesterday and found a few kind of neat things. Big plate of brachs, and what I think are Crinoid Calyx.

Brachipod Plate 1.jpg

Brachipod Plate 1a.jpg

Brachipod Plate 2.jpg

Calyx 1.jpg

Detail.jpg

Matrix.jpg

unknowns.jpg

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Darctooth, when you come down we'll take a minute and go get you one of your own. You won't even need any tools.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

I'm heading up to Centre County tomorrow For the Nittany Mineralogical Society meeting in the evening and I'm going Trilobite/ammonite  hunting in the afternoon. I'll post my results here.

Way to go Tim! Congratulations. Is that Silurian Mifflintown Formation? I'm unfamiliar with those crinoids- pretty interesting! Good luck hunting up Centre County. Love to see what you find.

Here's what I found at the site near State College:

2 nearly complete trilos, 2 heads, and some shell stuff. I was told that the trilo with the folded tail is identified by that. Is that accurate?

trilo 11817 2a.jpg

trilo 11817 2b.jpg

Trilo 11817 a.jpg

Trilo 11817 b.jpg

Trilo 118172 2c.jpg

trilo head 1.jpg

trilo head 2.jpg

I also went for a walk in a park here in Altoona and picked up a gastropod - due to the mineral (silicate) encrustation probably can't get any more specific than snail.

Altoona Gastropod.jpg

Archived