Ramon

I bought this fossil. It came from the Taman group in San Luis Potosi, Mexico which is callovian to Tithonian in age. The fossil looks like bone. It is in an ammonite coquina. The ammonites look like Perisphinctes sp. It looks like a jaw. It has hollow cavities just like bone. Please help me Identify this.

Photo of the specimen 

20170117_210843.jpg

I circled the fossil

20170117_211917.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Here's another photo of the break showing hollow cavities just like bone.20170117_210858.jpg

I circled the break

20170117_212541.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Could be bone, but we would need, clear, close-up shots of the ends.

Fossil bone often has small holes or canals that help set it apart from similar structures. The ends are the best place to see these.

I'm not convinced it's bone. 

Better pictures are needed to make that determination. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm going to take better pictures in sunlight. But today it is raining. ;)

As you said, you bought this fossil assemblage. My question is, how sure could you be about the location, formation and geological stage, also, have you more precise information regarding to this specimen? At San Luis Potosi, Mexico are lots of formations varying in age from Late Jurassic to Late Creataceous. In other words, is good to know which formation are we dealing with. I say this because, in my thought, I could recognise a resemblance with a rudist, so far. Better close-up pictures would reveal more details, as was stated before by our remarkable members of the Forum.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Here's some more pictures of the break. I don't know if you can see the hollow cavities. I just wish you'all could see what I see. 

20170126_174328.jpg

20170126_174320.jpg

Here's a photo of the surface taken through my microscope. Photo taken with microscope at 40x magnification. You can see Horizontal lines going through the bone. These lines are blood vessels. 

My fossil through microscope 40x

20170126_175207.jpg

Tell me what you'all think, now!!! ;)

21 minutes ago, jpc said:

I don't see any bone structure,sorry.  More plant-like. 

How did a plant get to the bottom of the sea? :headscratch:

Just curious!!!  ;)

16 minutes ago, Ramon said:

How did a plant get to the bottom of the sea? :headscratch:

Just curious!!!  ;)

Some plants grow there, others could have floated down in a flood (driftwood).

Tony

PS I agree with plant.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Okay, It's not bone. But it's still cool to have a plant in marine sediments!!! :)

On 1/19/2017 at 4:19 PM, abyssunder said:

As you said, you bought this fossil assemblage. My question is, how sure could you be about the location, formation and geological stage, also, have you more precise information regarding to this specimen? At San Luis Potosi, Mexico are lots of formations varying in age from Late Jurassic to Late Creataceous. In other words, is good to know which formation are we dealing with. I say this because, in my thought, I could recognise a resemblance with a rudist, so far. Better close-up pictures would reveal more details, as was stated before by our remarkable members of the Forum.

Well, I use Index fossils. For the Ochetoceras which the seller sell it to me with other pieces from the same spot, I used Auracomyella which is a brachiopod which is abundant in the Taman formation and mostly absent in the other formations.  For this one I posted that it came from the Taman group because I don't know from which part of the group it came from, although I think it comes from the Tepexic limestone which is a limestone that is packed with ammonites.