Frostedoddity

Both of these fossils come from Peace river in Florida.

Judging from the edge and size I'm wondering if the top one is from the scapula of a mammoth/mastodon? Either that or something from a whale. Any ideas?

The bottom is an armadillo scute that I once mistook for scrap bone and left in the scrap box until being rediscovered. Any way to tell if it's Holmesia septentrionalisis or Holmesina floridanus?

Thanks

20161230_153443.jpg

Your pictures are a bit blurry. 

You might also take multiple pictures from different angles on these items. 

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Yup. A few more angles and a close-up or two (assuming your camera will do close-ups clearly). Shooting outside on a bright day will also bring in a LOT more light than any bulb could ever hope to do.

I don't know of any way to distinguish Holmesina species from an isolated osteoderm. Without referring to my reference books, I'm guessing it might be possible to distinguish these two species based on the location or the formation if known but from an out-of-context find in the Peace River, Holmesina sp. is likely as certain as you'll get.

Cheers.

-Ken

Yes, better pics that show all the faces of your pieces would be welcome.  I invite you to follow this link if you are interested in fossils from the peace river : http://www.paleocurrents.com/img/FLORIDA_PEACE_RIVER/HTML/index.htm

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks guys! I'll put some more angles in when I get better pics.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 for my pictures. Besides sunlight, is there anything else that could help for clarity? Maybe a better type of camera? What do you use?

1 hour ago, Frostedoddity said:

Thanks guys! I'll put some more angles in when I get better pics.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 for my pictures. Besides sunlight, is there anything else that could help for clarity? Maybe a better type of camera? What do you use?

Make sure that the camera is stable. Shoot straight on shots (not from an obtuse angle.).

I use a cheap point and shoot, so the camera used is less important than the technique used.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Here is my advice for producing better images:

Do you have editing software that came with your camera or with your scanner? Use the image-editing software (or download shareware from the Internet).

You can be as creative as you want to be with the editing software, but the following basic things will improve anyone's images:

GROUP IMAGES of more than a few fossils are not effective. The more individual fossils in an image, the greater the amount of table-top is in the image. Viewers cannot see the details of a fossil that might take up less than five percent of the total image. Photograph a single fossil (or two or three, if they're tiny), and post that image.

LIGHT IT UP. Use as much ambient light as possible to reduce shadows...two light sources are a minimum. Eliminate yellowed images caused by tungsten filament bulbs by switching to the new compact flourescent bulbs. CFLs come in a "daylight" (6500K) version that you can use in any (non-dimming) fixture and produce very little heat.  Now, LED lamps are available in "daylight" range.

ELIMINATE SHADOWS by elevating the fossil on a glass or colorless plastic stage a couple of inches above the background. Illuminate the fossil AND THE BACKGROUND in this configuration. There are numerous things around the house to use for this purpose, from scrap window-glass to disposable plastic food/drink containers.

BRIGHTEN AND CONTRAST. BRIGHTEN the image until the fossil appears slightly washed, then adjust the CONTRAST until the fossil is bright and sharp and is a good color-match. Practice this until you get a feel for it.

CROP, CROP, CROP. Again, use the image-editing software to crop the image to only what is pertinent. Leave only a narrow margin around the fossil. The more of your kitchen counter-top in the image, the smaller the fossil image will be.

REDUCE THE FILE SIZE. The images directly from a camera usually are too large for posting directly to a forum. You can constrain the proportions of your image to produce exactly the size that works best (I routinely use 700 Kb - 2.0 Mb for my images now). Save in JPEG format.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Archived