Galveston, Tx Finds

silverphoenix

Well I figure I should post what I've been finding in Galveston. I never find enough in one trip to post, but I figure about 10 combined should do nicely :D

Here's some stingray barbs that I collected from Live stingrays that I've caught. I am unfortunately highly experienced with what these can do--been cut on the thumb once and stabbed in the other thumb once. These have rearward facing barbs, that cut, slice, and tear going in and especially coming out:

P1000753.jpg

Here's the shark teeth I've found---6 look to be fossilized and the rest are just old--some are newish:

P1000754.jpg

There's several fossilized ray plates in there that I've found--1 is newer. Also included is a fossilized drum mouth plate, a fossilized rodent bone, and a few other fossil bone odds and ends.

Cool stuff. What makes you say some of the teeth are "newer"?

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Cool finds Chase,

I left a VM about last night's paleo meeting but it went straight to VM... :o

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Cool finds glad to see your still hunting Galveston, I have not been out all week to hot. Travis and Barefoot or down here hope to meet up tomorrow and hunt the west end

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Y'all are welcome to call me anytime if you'd like to get together for a hunt on the weekends--well when I get my new cell phone in a week...my girlfriend pushed me in a pool when I had it in my pocket...anyways, messages work too. That's why everything goes straight to voicemail though--my phone is toast :faint:

On the age of the teeth, it's sometimes hard to tell age, but basically, the white, very sharp teeth are newer as they have not had time to be weathered or patinated by their environment. The fossilized teeth you have to see up close really--they're very smooth around the edges, usually dark in color, and the root has evident fossilization/mineral replacement. The discolored/patinated teeth that are in-between these ages I'd just call old. It's hard to tell an exact age.

Nice stuff Silverphoenix! always love looking at your posts...

i can see what you mean by some of the teeth being 'newer' looking, but i would say they are all fossils...the chances of finding a single modern tooth on any beach is just so uncommon, especially more than one species. I could be wrong as i dont know the area, or marine environment? the only way i could see this happening is if the offshore ecosystem housed a wide network of sharks and offerred abundant food to support numerous top predators... which only highly biodiverse ecosystems could achieve...then of course there is the probability of the teeth lost during feeding accumulate and wash onto the beaches?

anyway...neat fossils!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Nice stuff, I never knew those barbs were so long!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That's quite a haul from the island. Nice! Hopefully, I'm going fishing down there Sunday. Maybe I'll find something.

I'm curious and maybe I missed it... but why is it you'd catch stingrays and remove their barbs?

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

Good eatin'. Tastes like scallops.

Last time I had ray was in Dublin in 1985, you're right, it's delicious I just didn't think people ate it here.

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

Last time I had ray was in Dublin in 1985, you're right, it's delicious I just didn't think people ate it here.

i bring home skate wings if they are big enough. they taste great, and they squirm as your cooking them. :P

I got a 1 1/2in peice of pipe with one end sharpen skin the wing and stamp out rounds fry up better then scallops in my book.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

yeah and the main body makes great crab bait! A lot of restaurants actually server stingray in replacement of scallops, because they are quite similar and IMHO ray tastes better! :D

Those are some really nice finds Silver. Hope your staying cool in this horrid hot weather.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'