Spinosaurus

Let's keep in mind, the Collections section of TFF was never intended to have the level of detailed information required by designated fossil repositories, or to pretend to substitute as a repository of that information.  It does serve a gateway to that more specific information if the current collector has it in possession.  It is also another tool to encourage the proper documentation fossils in one's collection.   ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

11 minutes ago, Canadawest said:

That's fine until the specimens are misidentified and passed on with bad information. Best to call them ornaments and keep them from polluting legitimate collections.

Nobody says that members shouldnt collect general fossils.  They just need to be identified as such.

A fossil without collecting info has no scientific value.  Its a nice keepsake like a teacup or a polished  rock.

Thus why the  'Collection' segment of this Forum has zero credibility and would have a room of paleontologists shaking their head.  Not making the provenance of a fossil mandatory is like having a Passport without a photo and date of birth.

Again,.... you say there are issues with the collections area, but again,... you give no examples.

How are we to make it better if people don't point out the mistakes.  Telling us that it is wrong, is unhelpful unless you tell us why. 

Please give us examples. 

I think most of the people posting to Collections are doing a good job. 

I also think the Who collected it is less important than the locality and stratigraphic info. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

its fine how it is, it a nice tooth and i live on alsmost the other side of the world so i don't realy have to know the specific place where it have been found...

Agreed Spinosaurus, it is a nice looking tooth.  Enjoy it and keep posting any new acquisitions as most of us enjoy seeing and sharing items and there is always some useful identification tips and suggestions offered by fellow members.

13 hours ago, Spinosaurus said:

its fine how it is, it a nice tooth and i live on alsmost the other side of the world so i don't realy have to know the specific place where it have been found...

It's a great tooth. I would be happy to have it in my collection. 

Archived