"Shark Tooth" sifter. Any thoughts?

minnbuckeye

I am asking all of you sifters for your input as to whether I am crazy for modifying WAHAMA's  design. Will this work? All thoughts good or bad are welcomed. You can be cruel.

WAHAMA90    8

• Advanced Member
  •  
  • WAHAMA90
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Didn't get out to the cliffs this weekend, so I decided to make a floating sifter. This one has 1/4 screen in it. I am going to make another one that has 1/8 screen, but I'll have a smaller 1/4 screen that fits over it along with a scoop that I can pour water over the larger screen. I think I will fashion some sort of strap on it so I can carry it on my back so that I can still surface collect until I get to a good sifting spot.

20170102_124449.jpg

Now my modification:

Floats are not attached yet. 4 bolts are secured to the underlying 1/4 inch screen and the 1/2 inch screen can be slipped on top easily. my concern is water intake into the upper sifter since holes can't be sealed. Also, I have left the handles detatchable so that it will fit into a suitcase easier. Again suggestions or criticism is welcomed. Not sure why my pictures are so dark. Sorry!!!

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0097.JPG

Brightened the pics for you. ;) 

DSC_0098.JPG.fbfe0f2fadc3955e882e07f3b90cca06.JPG                                     DSC_0097.JPG.d6994444eb3b30e9b60ec5a715870295.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It looks good to me,... my only question would be how sturdy the upper sifter is, with gravel in it?

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

The upper sifter will slide down against the lower. I just have it propped up for photos

How do you do that? I often post pictures that do not post the way they are in my picture files? Would love to improve the images when this happens. Or is this a Moderator's function?

Looks like a nice setup.

Two things that may improve the set....

1 Wrap the edge of the screen around the pipe- so it will not pull out and leave holes at the sides.

2 Leave more room between the two screens- so there is enough room for the dirt to build up in the lower screen.

Good luck!!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

How do you do that? I often post pictures that do not post the way they are in my picture files? Would love to improve the images when this happens. Or is this a Moderator's function?

I use a free photo editing software called Photoscape.

Very easy to use, and intuitive. ;) 
Great features, and free! :)

Minnbuckeye,

I'll give you a couple of things to consider.  Whether you incorporate them is up to you.

1) Rope attached to sifter attached to 10 pounds of lead weight. Sifter stays in place (and easily movable ) to what ever spot in the river current you desire.

2) Hooks attached to 2 outside corners of sifter with string/rope tied between. Use like a woman's pocketbook to transport over dry land.

3) Intend to use the sifter "upside-down" in the water so that all wood /PVC tubing, and all flotation devices lift the screen out of the water naturally, I never use back or arm muscles to lift the sifter with a load of fossils out of the water; also I push the sifter down into the water to clear debris or mud from gravel.

4) Length x Width is important to spend more time looking for fossils on the sifter than digging.

5) One of my hunting buddies uses 1/2 inch screen (uses the green plastic coated stuff because it last longer) and I had traditionally used 1/4 inch screen because I wanted the smaller shark and mammal teeth that could slip through a 1/2 screen. He found twice as many larger fossils because he was processing twice as much over time.  So, I have both a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch version and select the one appropriate to the location I am digging.

In the photo below, the sifter is a 1/4 inch version.

IMG_1882.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

If the 1/4-20 threads slip fit into close clearance holes in the bottom of the upper screen, that might not offer easy, quick, drop-on alignment in the field.  You might consider removing the bolts and securing some downward facing tabs or posts on the 4 corners of the upper screen which would drop into the outboard enclosed rectangles of the lower screen.  This would give fast, drop on alignment, and the closed rectangles would lock out X and Y direction migration of the upper screen, thus preventing the upper screen from falling off if a gravel load approaches from an angle.  Just a thought.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The sifters I use are more box like, similar to Shellseeker's screens. There is usually a lot of mud in the sediment I screen so I need high edges so I can really work the screen back and forth and up and down to get the sediment to go through. I think the sediment would all go out the sides with your design. I think your design would work in sandy conditions where there is no mud or leaves.

I wonder if this would work in the top pipes? You could fill in the holes with the foam and then bore the hole out. That should leave you with a weatherproof seal on both sides of the hole.

download.jpg

7 hours ago, WAHAMA90 said:

I wonder if this would work in the top pipes? You could fill in the holes with the foam and then bore the hole out. That should leave you with a weatherproof seal on both sides of the hole.

download.jpg

Actually, I have done that already where the handles come loose and in my drill holes. That is why in my picture, I just set the 1/2 inch screen on top instead of sliding it through the bolts. I had not redrilled the  holes filled with foam. Great minds think alike ????????????? Did you get a chance to use yours yet?

Good advice, above, from guys that sift a lot.  Just a casual observation:  I don't think the gravel/mud loads on your top screen are going to 'play nice' with the four bolts over time.  It's likely to wallow out the holes in the PVC pipe....  :mellow:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

I don't think the gravel/mud loads on your top screen are going to 'play nice' with the four bolts over time.  It's likely to wallow out the holes in the PVC pipe....  :mellow:

I agree whole hardily. In my mind, this sifter was created for a casual northerner who visits the Peace River  or other similar river system. It needs to be light weight and able to fit into a suitcase full of clothes. It's use for me is a day or two every 2 or three years. So hopefully it will last a few trips. Anyways, it was cheap and easy to construct, so even 1 trip would be a success for me

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't like about that design is that it lacks depth. I simply use 2x4 boards screwed together in the shape of a square. My preferred design is heavy but it can hold a lot, not to to mention it is tough. I made a PVC screen like what you show here and it didn't last through two trips. 

I personally like the scrapers with a handle(clam rake) But the commercial versions are to small and fragile. I made mine from small, welded steel tubing and 1/4 inch galvanized. It sees a ton of use in the peace river and other than the occasional need for a bit of copper wire here and there, is doing great. It can be a finger jabber though, I hardly notice, the bone bug makes me immune to the pain :D

Your device looks good and fully capable. Now, fill it up!

Archived