Jonelle

*Looking for some advice from paleologists and/or geologists*

I am thinking about going back to school. I dropped out of college 10 years ago because I was never quite sure what I wanted to do. I have taken a lot of course hours, but I do not have a degree since I basically took anything that interested me. 

Now that I am 30 and a bit more stable, I would love to go back. I am extremely interested in paleontology, but I know that it requires a lot of school, and it isn't easy. From the small amount of research I did, it seems like most paleontologists do their undergraduate degree in either biology/geology. 

I would love to hear advice from anyone who has either done or looked into doing this. I live in Florida, so I am thinking UF might be the best choice, but I am also wanting to look into doing as many online courses as possible. Thanks in advance! 

Also wondering how difficult it would be to get into a university after being out for so long :( i always maintained a high GPA, but I'm not sure if that even counts anymore 

Good for you,

Firstly, I'm a geologist so am biased.

An undergraduate degree in geology provides many more opportunities than one in biology.  With an degree you are a 'geologist'.  A degree in biology is certainly useful but more so if you want to take further studies  (medicine, zoology, etc.).

Another potential avenue of pursuit is library sciences specializing in archival preservation, curation, etc.  At the Geological Survey these individuals work with collections, research papers...

The most important thing is to get into an undergraduate program in geology.  Dont be concerned about specializing in paleontology although you can  take any paleo courses offered. 

So, you graduate as a geologist and want to work in paleontology.  So...why would YOU   land a paleontology position with the USGS, an energy company, a museum, academia, etc.?  The answer is to have something practical to offer beyond a degree.   My personal strength was outdoor skills...ability to live and function in remote areas.  I was an avid hiker, climber, etc.  It was easy for me to get on with expeditions. Another avenue would be to specialize in your undergraduate years in prepping and restoring specimens...these skills are in demand.  Another would be a minor in library science and curation knowledge.  Perhaps develop a good set of skills working with microfossils.  Anyways, the point is to add practical value.

Just a note. Geology is a broad field. After a few courses you might might find a natural affinity for something other than paleontology...hydrology, seismology, energy, mining, etc. 

• I found this Informative 4

I wouldn't overly worry about entrance standards for an undergraduate degree. Apart from the highly selective criteria of top tier institutions, most other university budgets operate on the "grow or die" model of enrolment. You might look into the provisions of your chosen universities with respect to mature students as entrance criteria may differ (in your favour).

Although I can see the prudence in Canadawest's recommendation for possibly incorporating LIS as part of a grad program, there are some caveats as some of those programs might take you deep into the weeds. There is some prudence in applying to a LIS program that is more broad-based with a stronger focus on practice rather than theory.

Of course, four years is a considerable amount of experiential time, and if you capitalize on those undergraduate years in being exposed to various options and opportunities, it could be the case that you may change course in terms of grad school somewhere along the way. Out of earth sciences are several avenues you can pursue.

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer