How do they split ammonites?

Zinalu

I was a bit curious about how they split ammonites, I first had a theory they might pour some sort of resin into it, partly to be able to split it aswell as preservation, before they use a thin saw to split it, then they make it shiny and nice, but I figured that might not work, so maybe anyone here knows :)

Ammonite-fossil-1200x939.jpg

It's actually quite simple to understand when you know that in very many cases, the chambers of the phragmocone have been filled with minerally saturated water many years ago which then precipitated out during the process of fossilization, mostly as calcite, like in the photo you are showing us. Then it's just a matter of cutting, sanding and polishing. This is all natural substance.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have cut one in half using a diamond blade on the same saw I cut meteorites with. It worked, but my results were not ideal. The saw left behind a lot of marks that I sanded and polished out. The end result looked pretty good, but it took quite a bit of polishing to remove all of the saw marks. I probably wasn't using the right blade for that kind of cutting.

I paid a lapidary guy to cut some Texas Sphenodiscus ammonites with a big diamond saw.  He first encased each in a block of plaster to give him something to hold onto while running them through the saw.  He then lay them cut side down on a Vibra Lap for several days to polish the calcite.  I like the end result.

Kes Sphenodiscus pleurisepta 7c Site 417 1111.jpg

Kes Sphenodiscus pleurisepta 7b Site 417 1111.jpg

Kes Sphenodiscus pleurisepta 7a Site 417 1111.jpg

Kes Sphenodiscus pleurisepta 6b Site 417 1111.jpg

Kes Sphenodiscus pleurisepta 2d Site 417 1111.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

It's actually quite simple to understand when you know that in very many cases, the chambers of the phragmocone have been filled with minerally saturated water many years ago which then precipitated out during the process of fossilization, mostly as calcite, like in the photo you are showing us. Then it's just a matter of cutting, sanding and polishing. This is all natural substance.

Ohhh then I see :D that explains how even damages can still be there, which I find pretty cool, thank you!