Dinosaur tooth ? Which one ?

Coco

Here is a tooth my colleague found a lot of years near Cognac (Charente, France). It is from a sedimentary facies Purbeckian (Late Jurassic, Lower Cretaceous). The quarry was in the marl, we found many reptiles, teeth and fish scales there, and of very small shark teeth.

28b49ox.jpg

b3v028.jpg

2j44y82.jpg

The size is 4 cm (1" 3/5)

Thanks for your help.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Wow!!! It is a theropod tooth. Resembles a tyrannosaurid tooth. Not sure!!! :headscratch:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

The photos are quite good and I don't see any serrations.  Could this be a large marine reptile?   By the way... 'career' is supposed to 'quarry'.  'Carriere' en francais a deux sens... 1) le boulot qu'on a (t'a carrierre est clown,) et 2) un trou pour ramasser des cailloux.  'Career' en anghlais c'est le boulot.  

• I found this Informative 2

Hi JP,

You are right :hearty-laugh: ;) It was in a quarry !

I have just looked at it with a binocular microscope and there is no track of dentation, just a hull (keel ?) on a single side. It isn't maybe a reason to exclude a carnivore ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I don't see a serration neither.

I think if it not have a serration, the best shot it's a marine reptile tooth indeed...

Definitely not dinosaurian.  Let me offer two possibilities.   A crocodyliform from the Purbeckian facies called Goniopholis but I'm not sure if they became that large 

Screenshot_20170118-172634.jpg

Another possibility since the Quarry appears to be marine is the Metriorhynchidae called Dakosaurus.  It's found in the late jurassic early cretaceous deposits and the size fits. 

Metriorhynchid Crocodylomorph 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

This Dakosaurus from the upper Jurassic of Painten (Painten Formation, almost same age as Solnhofen) is on display in the foyer of "Kalkwerke Rygol", owner of the quarry and producer of drymix mortars.

Dakosaurus.JPG

The largest Dakosaurus tooth from there is 11cm !!!

PS: Not me!

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

13 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi JP,

You are right :hearty-laugh: ;) It was in a quarry !

I have just looked at it with a binocular microscope and there is no track of dentation, just a hull (keel ?) on a single side. It isn't maybe a reason to exclude a carnivore ?

Coco

Neat specimen. Always good to see something different.

I have found unworn T rex teeth without a hint of serrations. However, they dont have such a pronounced axial line.  Usually more subtle.  This doesnt rule out dino but not likely. It has a terrestrial coc look but I'm unfamiliar with marine teeth.