David E.

I was excited to see the 4 ft rise this past Monday so I took the day off.  Little did I know that when I woke up this morning, there had been an even better water level rise last night.  I got into Ladonia as the sun was just coming up so I went ahead and hit 3-4 bridges to check the water level at each before I made up my mind which one I was going to hunt off of.  I ended up at my favorite spot and I'm glad I did.  The water level looked like would be about waist deep but there's so much silt/mud underneath that the deepest parts were just above my knees.  In fact, at one point, I was deeper in mud that any water level the whole day.  I hit a patch of mud that went half way between my knees and waste.  To get out, I went over elbow deep in that same mud to crawl out.  Needless to say, when I walked back through that area, I chose a different path.  The rain we had this week cleaned the gravel bars pretty good.  What we really need is a good spring cleaning to clean the bottom.  

I had plans on going back out tomorrow to try a different bridge but to be honest, after 7 hours of walking through all the gunk, I'm exhausted.  I know there are a few of you that are planning on going out tomorrow and I wish you all the best.  If ya have someone to hang with, you'll be better off.....especially if you find your self in a very muddy situation.

Here's the finds.  Some mossy verts, few boney fish pieces and a little ol' point that had the tip broken off (looks like an beat up Gary).   

Thanks for the report. 

Looks like you did OK. :) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cool textures and colors on those verts. I bet it was a rough 7 hours with all the mud and slick stuff. Man, I wish I could head up there today to meet up with some of you guys. There should be fresh nuggies of fossil goodness everywhere! Looks like it will have to be my favorite arrowhead/fossil creek on Saturday.

11 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Awesome finds!  I'm headed out tomorrow morning.  Still looking for my first Mos vert.

I bet you get multiple verts today. Good luck!

It looks like you had a nice hunt. I know what you mean about the mud. I actually broke my walking stick awhile back trying to get out of the mud.  Now I carry a 55 inch solid hickory stick which I can't break.

Good work David! You did well. I'm itching to get out there, been like 6 months. But spring is near :)

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation