digit

Optimizing micro-matrix sorting

28 posts in this topic

Just had a thought freeze thaw might help,it certainly breaks down our local cliffs!

The rain probably helps if its the acid rain that some areas get,how many fossils dissolve in it?

We use the freeze-thaw method (leveraging [literally] the phenomenal power of the expansion of the liquid to solid phase of water) to help pry apart siderite nodules from Mazon Creek. Usually, the fossil within is more of a cast (or sometimes just a faint shadow) of the fossilized item so little damage can be done by the process. I'm wondering what effect freeze-thaw would have on the porous and usually fragile shark tooth roots of the specimens from Shark Tooth Hill. For other fossil matrices I would expect the freeze-thaw might indeed help in separating fossils from their surrounding matrix. I guess your mileage would vary depending on the type of matrix. Definitely a good technique to try on a sample.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, Yvie said:

Just had a thought freeze thaw might help,it certainly breaks down our local cliffs!

The rain probably helps if its the acid rain that some areas get,how many fossils dissolve in it?

Freeze thaw is great for opening concretions. But when you are searching for micro fossils in large chunks of matrix (hard or soft) the object is to dissolve the matrix and clean it away leaving only the fossils. It could help by breaking the chunks into smaller pieces, but you still have to wait for the matrix to dissolve away. 

1 person finds this informative