Optimizing micro-matrix sorting

digit

Bringing this thread back. Been doing some work with micros and sorting matrix. I have been trying methods other than just sifting, since a significant amount of matrix is left for me. I have been soaking the sediment in 5% acetic acid for 18 hours, then screening with water through the sifts. Seems to decrease the amount of sediment by weight by about 60%. My sediment is not very dense, and based off the papers I have read you would need to change out the acetic acid and leave the sample soaking longer. 

Also, try drying out the matrix completely between acid soaks. I've found that some matrix types (especially those with any clay-like materials) benefit from drying out which can form micro-cracks which allow the next soak to penetrate deeper. Matrix from Shark Tooth Hill in Bakersfield, CA was reduced significantly on the second soaking over the first. The stresses caused by shrinking while drying out can be effective in breaking down the matrix and would likely be safer on the fossil material than the acid. If you give drying a try let us know if it helped or not.

BTW: What is the source of your matrix?

Cheers.

-Ken