Anyone seen this website before.

hobbitfeet

Not my region of the country so I've never been but looks to be a great resource for pointers to good collecting areas. Well-known collecting sites are (as always) subject to hunting pressure but some sites are so rich that fossils can always be found there (like the St. Leon roadcut in Indiana).

Cheers.

-Ken

On 1/20/2017 at 6:37 PM, digit said:

I need to add Missouri to my bucket fossil bucket list.

I can say I have buckets of Missouri fossils. :)

Context is critical.

I checked out the salt river location but there aren't any outcrops around there. Although I found a decent spot near Hannibal and the same trip.  I plan on checking out the area near Park Hills next week. 

Another great resource is the geology of interstate 55.  It gives mile markers and descriptions of the fossils found there.  It is available through the MDNR, and probably other sources.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I went to some spots between Park Hills and Frankclay.  The first stop (closest to Park Hills) was a bust.  The next one produced only one trilo-butt.  The last one produced at least a dozen trilobite pieces within a half hour and some crinoids but not really any brachs. 

• 3 weeks later...

I found a good spot west of Allenton that had lots of brachs, some crinoids, gastropods and a few trilobite tails.  I didn't find anything north of Eureka.  I could only find one good place to park but nothing was there.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:13 PM, hobbitfeet said:

Has anyone been to any of the places on this website?

http://dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub665.pdf

Or do you know how to get to any specific places that this website?  

It takes me awhile to get to the other side of the river so I don't have much time to scour every road cut.

The link doesn't seem to work anymore.  Did this post make them decide to take it down? :(

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, Sagebrush Steve said:

The link doesn't seem to work anymore.  Did this post make them decide to take it down? :(

I hope I'm not the one who got it taken down.  At least I was able to share a few new roadcuts worth checking out.

20 hours ago, hobbitfeet said:

I hope I'm not the one who got it taken down.  At least I was able to share a few new roadcuts worth checking out.

Maybe if someone has the PDF they could post it here?