Jakuzi

Hit the Sulphur today to see what the rains washed up.  I checked out 4 different bridges and hunted at 2 of them.  There were trucks at 3 of the 4 bridges.  Only ran in to one other guy out there.  Older guy that said he'd been hunting the river since the 80's.  Many of the gravel bars were still under water getting washed.   I imagine that in a few day there's going to be a lot of goodies on those bars.  The mud was brutal sinking nearly to my knees at times and it took me hours before I found anything of note.  But it payed off.

It was definitely a day of firsts for me.  I found my first Mos vert!  And not just one but 5!  The big guy was the first one I found.  I believe the other big one is either fish or shark.  I also finally found the fabled red zones and found some great detailed ammonites of different verities/species. Then as I'm sitting down to eat a bagel and BAM! I found my first arrowhead!

Had a great day!

IMG_4768.JPG

Also first time not finding any complete shark teeth(not complaining).  I'm guessing when the water fully recedes off the underwater bars there will be tons.  

IMG_4763.JPG

23 minutes ago, David E. said:

Awesome finds Jakuzi.  Can you take a couple more photos of the big brown vert?  

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4771.JPG

Interesting.  I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere that mossy verts are convex/concave and plesiosaur verts are concave/concave.  I'm no expert by any means though.  You killed it today.  Congrats!  Oh...and nice point!

33 minutes ago, David E. said:

Interesting.  I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere that mossy verts are convex/concave and plesiosaur verts are concave/concave.  I'm no expert by any means though.  You killed it today.  Congrats!  Oh...and nice point!

Whoa that'd be way cooler than a fish vert. I'll have to do some research.  Didn't realize those could be found out there.

thanks for the props

Jakuzi...I went back and reread your original post and I messed up.  By the size of that one in the first two pics, I thought that was one the big one.  It does look like a fish vert.  My apologies.  Yes you can find plesiosaur verts out there.  Jarrod B. found a really nice one last year.  

I dunno... that vert looks way more like marine reptile bone texture than fish, at least in the photos. I'm thinking it IS plesiosaur.

1 hour ago, DinoMike said:

I dunno... that vert looks way more like marine reptile bone texture than fish, at least in the photos. I'm thinking it IS plesiosaur.

I agree with Plesiosaur. 

LOL...I thought so too in the first two photos but the other two I wasn't sure.  Bonus for sure!  It's on my NSR fossil bucket list.

6 hours ago, David E. said:

LOL...I thought so too in the first two photos but the other two I wasn't sure.  Bonus for sure!  It's on my NSR fossil bucket list.

@DinoMike and @JarrodB. Got'a say after looking at many examples of both it looks in my non-expert opinion more like a fish/shark vert.  As much as I'd like it to be Plesiosaur.  Is there anything that would solidly differentiate between fish and Plesiosaur?  I can take more pics if needed.

My only personal experience with fish verts from the North Sulphur River is in the form of this Pachyrhizodus sp. vert that I found there a while back.  The bone texture and the look of the articular face seem FAR different. I don't know how your find compares to a Xiphactinus vert, though. I've never closely examined one of those personally.

North Sulphur River 10-03-15 008.jpg

North Sulphur River 10-03-15 010.jpg

North Sulphur River 10-03-15 011.jpg

2015-10-03-08-43-29.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Awesome day congrats! That vert is very close to looking plesiosaur. The fish verts can get huge which can be confusing. May need see more pics maybe in the sun. I'm still looking for my first plesy vert from the sulphur. Just have one giant I found near Dallas about 7 in. Wide. Great job. 

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

57 minutes ago, David E. said:

Here's a few of a Xiphactinus vert I found in the NSR last spring for comparison.  It's 2.25" wide and 1.5" tall.

IMG_0630.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

Wow that's a huge fish vert!

I would vote for marine reptile for Jakuzi's vert. Just looking at the texture of the bone and structure of the vert.

• I found this Informative 2

I'll post some pics later for you to compare. What makes it even more confusing is the Plesiosaur verts can look very different from different parts of the body. I've found 3 in the past year and all are very different from one another.  I still say it's Plesiosaur. 

Here's 3 Plesiosaur verts and part of a paddle I found at NSR.  

post-19191-0-51509800-1458188234.jpg

post-19191-0-19898900-1452316798.jpg

post-19191-0-99481500-1449027401.jpg

post-19191-0-25259400-1464745786.jpg

On 1/22/2017 at 8:34 AM, JarrodB said:

Here's 3 Plesiosaur verts and part of a paddle I found at NSR.  

post-19191-0-51509800-1458188234.jpg

post-19191-0-19898900-1452316798.jpg

post-19191-0-99481500-1449027401.jpg

post-19191-0-25259400-1464745786.jpg

The texture definitely looks the same.  Here are a few more picks in the sunlight.  

IMG_4784.JPG