Potomac River

RCW3D

Thanks to some big event going on in Washington DC today :P, my wife and I had the day off. Despite some light rain, we decided to head down to the river for the afternoon low tide. We were hoping for another banner day like the last time we went to Stratford Hall in the rain...well, it was another banner day but for different reasons than the last time we were there. When we got down to the parking lot, we were surprised to find someone else there getting ready to hit the beach. No biggie, even though it is a small beach, one other person isn't bad...then 2 more vehicles pulled up. Oh well, we hoped the rain would keep others away but apparently not! I did a quick walk of the waterline then I went out into the water with my sifter. I can't say I found too much sifting, the normal small stuff. My wife found the dolphin vertebrae further up on the beach than I would have expected, I was surprised that it hadn't been picked by someone else. I got bored and started to do some "laps" on the beach. I think it was my third lap or so when I saw some barnacles on an odd angle. It was curious enough to me to reach down and check it out...I couldn't believe my eyes, a meg!!! My third one in three weeks and by far the nicest!!! I shouted to my wife to come check it out and as she came over, she looked down a grabbed the nicest shark vertebrae we have found yet. All-in-all, I pretty decent day despite the crowd! 

The total haul.

1.jpg

Dolphin vert and Meg

2.jpg

Front side of the Meg. I have seen where some folks soak the teeth in vinegar to get barnacles off, I think I'm going to leave them the way they are...it gives it some character.

5.jpg

Back side

4.jpg

Shark Vert

6.jpg

Looking for help with this one, I'm thinking it may be a thresher but I'm not sure. Thoughts? For actual size, look at my total haul picture, second row from the bottom on the left.

7.jpg

Rob :D

Love the meg! I just arrived at chesapeake beach. I am hoping for my own good finds. I still have awhile before sun up.

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

By the way, yes that is a thresher tooth.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

12 hours ago, darctooth said:

Love the meg! I just arrived at chesapeake beach. I am hoping for my own good finds. I still have awhile before sun up.

I'm anxiously awaiting your report! I wanted to go again today but had a very late night...my daughter (adult) had appendicitis and had it removed in the wee hours of last night. Today has been a couch potato day, catching up on lost sleep.

Rob :D

Great finds. Love the little meg:fistbump: I have soaked teeth in white vinegar and it does eat off all the coral or crustaceans but that stuff does give character to the piece as well. 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!