Plesiosaur vertebrae (resolved)

Crann

Hi, out fossil hunting around yorkshire coast and came across this vertebrae, looks like a Mosasaurus to me but hey... I'm pretty new to this and learning every nature given day, any ideas ? Cheers.

Can't add any pictures due to site not allowing my basic mobile photos to upload, will have to try later after adjusting or something... 

5 minutes ago, Crann said:

Added to nhm forum as no issues, will still try and resize to add to this forum as some informative people.

Yeah, try resize the photos. I'm anxious to see the vertebrae!!! :popcorn:

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I believe the Mosasaurus was late cretaceous but this was found on the jurrasic coast, doesn't look like an ichthyosaurus from pictures I've looked at though ?

Mosasaurs are indeed strictly Late Cretaceous.

This vertebra looks mammalian to me. So it's likely just washed up to the coast from the depths of the North Sea where a lot of Late Pleistocene fauna is found.

It seems to be a mammalian dorsal vertebra. Where the ribs would articulate can clearly be seen in the last photo.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Mosasaurs are indeed strictly Late Cretaceous.

This vertebra looks mammalian to me. So it's likely just washed up to the coast from the depths of the North Sea where a lot of Late Pleistocene fauna is found.

It seems to be a mammalian dorsal vertebra. Where the ribs would articulate can clearly be seen in the last photo.

Hmmm... That would be a good guess, but I don't think that it's true. 

Attached is a map with the currents in the North Sea. I made a white dot at where Yorkshire is, and approximatively circled in yellow the area that contains the famous Pleistocene mammal bones. 

Looking at the currents, there would be no easy way for a Pleistocene mammal fossil to arrive at Yorkshire. So I don't think that this is a possibility.

Furthermore, in my opinion, the texture of @Crann's fossil doesn't really match the usual texture of North Sea fossils.

I really don't know what it could be; let's wait till someone finds the answer. 

Best regards,

Max

81d3afcec0_Ink_LI.jpg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Hello Crann,

Definitely not mosasaur since both faces are concave instead of concave/convex. Also, since it looks heavily mineralized I wouldn't think Pleistocene, but this is based off of my experience with Pleistocene material from Florida and Texas. Probably plesiosaur, which being an ancestor of Nessy makes it pretty cool :)  BTW, nice spinous process. Those usually get knocked off once the vert starts getting rolled around.

Plesiosaur vert:

Image result for plesiosaur vertebrae

• I found this Informative 2

Hey fossilguy appreciate your reply, yea I was surprised how in tact it is, we had severe weather lately so possibly fell from the banks above, it looks very much like the diagram, even the tilt on the vert. Exciting times my friend.

24 minutes ago, Crann said:

Exciting times my friend.

Exciting indeed! The world of paleontology is getting broader and more detailed by the minute!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

I still think it's mammal. I thought I recognised the shape but couldn't immediately place it. Then it hit me. It looks almost identical to a cave bear dorsal vertebra I have from Germany. The only real difference is the preservation and the size. It's almost twice as big as the bear vertebra I have.

And while it does look pretty heavily mineralised. I have plenty of Late Pleistocene fossils from the North Sea that have almost identical preservation.  There's generally two types of preservation you'll find from the depths of the North Sea. The fossils that generally have a dark brown colouration. These are from around the last Ice Age during the Late Pleistocene. The dark black fossils are generally older and are more heavily mineralised. These fossils are come from a different fauna. It was much warmer at that time. There you'll see the ancestors of the woolly mammoth and also other animals from warmer climates like hippos.

It's definitly not Mosasaur or Plesiosaur.

• I found this Informative 1

2 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

I still think it's mammal. I thought I recognised the shape but couldn't immediately place it. Then it hit me. It looks almost identical to a cave bear dorsal vertebra I have from Germany. The only real difference is the preservation and the size. It's almost twice as big as the bear vertebra I have.

And while it does look pretty heavily mineralised. I have plenty of Late Pleistocene fossils from the North Sea that have almost identical preservation.  There's generally two types of preservation you'll find from the depths of the North Sea. The fossils that generally have a dark brown colouration. These are from around the last Ice Age during the Late Pleistocene. The dark black fossils are generally older and are more heavily mineralised. These fossils are come from a different fauna. It was much warmer at that time. There you'll see the ancestors of the woolly mammoth and also other animals from warmer climates like hippos.

It's definitly not Mosasaur or Plesiosaur.

Could you show us some pictures? Because I'm having trouble finding something that matches in Google...

Also, how would the vert have gotten all the way to Yorkshire?

Max Derème

Not a complete match. But this one is similar to the one I have. Just a lot more complete. Notice the roughly triangular shape of the centrum due to the articulation surfaces for the ribs.

CBV5_2_large.jpg?v=1480109210

Yes it's different. But there are also similarities. In the photo I linked the vertebra is much more complete and angled to the right. In your last photo, the vertebra is angled to the left. With the top of the vertebra pointing diagonally upwards to the left. Similar rib articulation surfaces can be seen. The same wide nerve canal can be seen. The centrum shape is indeed a little different. But I'm not saying your vertebra is bear. I'm just saying there are some similarities and that it's from a mammal, not a reptile.

3 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yes it's different. But there are also similarities. In the photo I linked the vertebra is much more complete and angled to the right. In your last photo, the vertebra is angled to the left. With the top of the vertebra pointing diagonally upwards to the left. Similar rib articulation surfaces can be seen. The same wide nerve canal can be seen. The centrum shape is indeed a little different. But I'm not saying your vertebra is bear. I'm just saying there are some similarities and that it's from a mammal, not a reptile.

I'll agree that there are some similarities, even though the similarities aren't strong enough to be the same. But sure, let's consider it mammal. But then my question is: how could it have ended up in Yorkshire?! :headscratch:

Max Derème