Plesiosaur vertebrae (resolved)

Crann

4 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

I'll agree that there are some similarities, even though the similarities aren't strong enough to be the same. But sure, let's consider it mammal. But then my question is: how could it have ended up in Yorkshire?! :headscratch:

Personally I am unable to comment on which organism this comes from. If it is a mammal vertebra it is not restricted to the North Sea – not only are there are glacial deposits around the Yorkshire Coast, but there are peat beds which stretch along the Holderness coast which is where most of the mammal bones usually come from. This vertebra is pretty worn and looks to have travelled around a bit. Maybe it could have originated from there.

• I found this Informative 2

Pleistocene fossils such as mammoth and bison are found on the Yorkshire coast. These fossils come from a wider area than you have outlined on your map and storms can carry material from other directions than normal currents you have shown.

• I found this Informative 1

Been looking at loads of mammal verts, they don't look like this one, only one I have seen similar is the Plesiosaur one posted but you never know.

I doubt it's Plesiosaur. The centrum isn't round enough.

Could you possibly post some more photos from more different angles? That might help with the identification.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Ah yes. I was looking at it differently. The little bump on the side wasn't completely visible in the previous photos. Now it's clear that it's much smaller than the process on the top. I was looking at it like it was angled roughly 45 degrees to the left. That way the space between the two bumps would have been the vertebral foramen. But now that it's clear the lower bump is much smaller it looks like I was wrong. The process on top didn't look like the top to me at first due to the foramen being filled in. It initially just looked like a dimple where the rib would articulate. But if this is indeed the vertebral process on top then yes, it does somewhat resemble a Plesiosaur vertebra.

The front disk still doesn't look as round as those of a Plesiosaur though. But this might be due to it being worn down so much.

So yeah, looks like I was wrong about my mammal hunch.

I dunno. There seem to be some structures that look like bone. The left one looks a little like it could come from the flipper of a Ichthyosaur or Plesiosaur.

Try to compare with these miscellaneous plesiosaur vertebrae from here and here .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks like we're on a roll lately, hopefully it continues, have a nice 8" 3d ammonite, sadly cracked when exposing it but will fix it up.

22 minutes ago, Crann said:

It does look like the middle vert in the first pic/link.

That was also my thought. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

sorry to chime in so late,but that is definetely a plesioasur vert.  1) very rounded centrum, looking form head on.  2) the way the neural arch flows from the sides of the centrum up in one smooth lie; there is no indent or outdent (I made that one up)from the edge of the centrum up t the spine 3) not a mosasur because the ends of their verts are concave on one end and convex on the other end. If there are two little holes on the bottom surface of the centrum, then that nails it.  Unfortunately, if they are not there, that doesn't un-nail it as the thing is quite worn.  

Here are a few I collected here from marine Jurassic sediments...P3302379b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Now, about this term "pectoral vert".  Can I ask politely where did you find that?  I have never heard of verts labeled as 'pectoral', but maybe plesiosaurs , or the Brits, have different terms.  I am being curious, not insulting.   

There is a bit of matrix on the bottom which I can get rid of but does look like some structure there so hopefully the holes you mentioned, thanks.

Ha, seems like the mystery was finally solved! So plesiosaur vert it is. Great find!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

3 hours ago, Crann said:

Yep... and back tomorrow to find the rest... hmmm, ha

Ha, good luck! Who knows?:D

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils