OptimusShev

Ok. I understand no one like to give up there secret spots. Not asking for that. I am asking for a little advice though. I spent three full days on the peace river recently. First trip I went to a boat ramp in Arcadia on 70 and kayaked south until I hit anotuther boat ramp, during that trip I found one area with some gravel, I spent a good amount of time sifting through it only to find very little teeth. The rest was sand. So the next trip I went up to The Gardner boat ramps, I went north and a litttle up Charley creek, but didn't find much. Than south again a bust. So I went back to Arcadia, this time I paddled north. I found some gravel and spent five hours sifting I did find some nice teeth and one like two inches. Although my daughter and I had an amazing time exploring and enjoying nature. I still know there had to be a better place to go for more luck. I leave about an hour and half away from the peace river so I intended to go back. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a kayak.

IMG_0433.JPG

You've been hitting some of the most hunted sections of the river, but your finds show you're doing the right things. Gardner is an OK stretch, but I've only gone upstream and a goodly way from the boat ramp. Use a metal rod as a probe and look for gravel below the surface, so it's not an obvious discard pile. It still may be from past years, but it will be worth a shot. Dig deep, even if the first 5 screens full are not productive. Zolfo Springs and Wauchula are also heavily hunted, but that's where I go and sometimes I even find something worth keeping.

I always go upstream from the put in point so I can drift downstream at the end of a long day. Paddle/walk at least 20 minutes before you start looking for a place to dig and you will probably do a little better, but I've seen mammoth teeth taken from just off the boat ramps, so you never can tell.

Nice tooth!  I would offer up this advice too which I have found works for me.  Something I always have in the back of my mind when I hunt the river is something I have learned on TFF:  look for areas or spots that seem less friendly to people.  Look for areas that may be a little spooky or scary to go in like around fallen trees or some deeper dark water.  Also the farther from public areas the better.  I too agree to dig deep.  Dig yourself some holes

Thank you all for your replays. I'll probably give it another try next weekend. I do love the hunt and exploring aspect of this hobby. 

Thank you all for your replays. I'll probably give it another try next weekend. I do love the hunt and exploring aspect of this hobby. 

Archived