Best species to start a collection

Emre

Hello again after 1 year.And sorry again if my English is bad or not enough.

It is finally my last year to graduate and start a job as a archeologist. On my free times, i go to beach and try to find some fossils. However,there is nearly no fossil sites in my country and a place which is poor about fossils. I go to beach every day, but all i found is some worthless sand dollars, I didn't have financial situation to travel abroad either.

I would like to buy some for my collection.I will love to hear your suggestions. Also, if you can give me some fossil hunting advices, it will be much appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Emre...

Hoşgeldiniz to The Fossil Forum!  Actually...Turkey is VERY rich in fossils...depending on where you are located in the country.  I used to collect fossils in abundance when I lived in Ankara but there weren't quite as many along the coast itself when I lived in Izmir.  I have links to a number of articles (in English) about Turkish fossils and fossil localities in my 'Pdf Library' here on The Fossil Forum.  Just click on THIS LINKand then scroll down the page until you get to the section for Turkey.

Glad to have you with us!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Turkey has trilobites!  Here is an excellent list of papers to assist you further.  Most are available via Google search.  

I have high quality plates for all the BMNH papers.  Please send me a PM If you have difficulty finding any of these.

Viersen, Allart P. van & Holland, Dieter (2016)
Morphological trends and new species of Cyphaspis (Trilobita, Otarioninae) in the Devonian of Morocco, Turkey, Germany and Belgium.

Geologica Belgica, 19:251-271

Dean, W.T. & Ozgul, N. (1994)
Cambrian rocks and faunas, Hüdai area, Taurus Mountains, southwestern Turkey. 
Bulletin de l'Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles de Belgique, 64:5-20

Dîl, N. & Eager, R. W. (1976)
Contribution à l'étude stratigraphique et paléontologique du Viséen supérieur et du Namurien inférieur  du Bassin houiller de Zonguldak (Nord-Ouest de la Turquie). 
Annales de la Société Géologique de Belgique, 99:401-449

Dean, William Thornton (1967)
The correlation and trilobite fauna of the Bedinan Formation (Ordovician) in south-eastern Turkey. 
Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), Geology Series, 15(2):81-123

Dean, William Thornton; Monod, Olivier (1970)
The lower Palaeozoic stratigraphy and faunas of the Taurus mountains near Beysehir, Turkey; I, Stratigraphy. 
Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), Geology Series, 19(8):411-426

Dean, W.T. (1971)
The Lower Palaeozoic Stratigraphy and Faunas of the Taurus Mountains near Beysehir, Turkey. II. The Trilobites of the Seydisehir Formation (Ordovician). 
Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), Geology Series, 20(1):1-24

Dean, W.T. (1973)
The Lower Palaeozoic Stratigraphy and Faunas of the Taurus Mountains near Beysehir, Turkey. III. The Trilobites of the Sobova Formation (Lower Ordovician). 
Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), Geology Series, 24(5):279-348

Dean, W T. (1982)
Middle Cambrian trilobites from the Sosink Formation, Derik-Mardin District, south-eastern Turkey. 
Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History), Geology Series, 36(1):1-41

Dean, W.T. & Monod, O. (1985)

A new interpretation of Ordovician stratigraphy in the Bahçe area, northern Amanos Mountains, south central Turkey.
Geological Magazine, 122(1):15-25

Dean, W.T.; Monod, O.; Günay, Yilmaz (1986)
Lower Palaeozoic stratigraphy in the southern and central Amanos Mountains, south central Turkey.
Geological Magazine, 123(3):215-226

Dean, W.T. & Monod, O. (1990)
Revised stratigraphy and relationships of Lower Palaeozoic rocks, eastern Taurus Mountains, south central Turkey.
Geological Magazine, 127(4):333-347

Dean, W.T.; Martin, F.; Monod, O.; Günay, Y.; Kozlu, H.; Bozdoğan, N. (1997)
Precambrian? and Cambrian stratigraphy of the Penbeğli-Tut inlier, southeastern Turkey. 
Geological Magazine, 134(1):37-53

Dean, W.T.; Uyeno, T.T.; Rickards, R.B. (1999)
Ordovician and Silurian stratigraphy and trilobites, Taurus Mountains near Kemer, southwestern Turkey. 
Geological Magazine, 136(4):373-393 

Dean, W. T.; Monod, O.; Rickards, R. B.;  Demir, Osman; Bultynck, P. (2000)
Lower Palaeozoic stratigraphy and palaeontology, Karadere-Zirze area, Pontus Mountains, northern Turkey. 
Geological Magazine, 137(5):555-582

Dean, W.T. & Krummenacher, R. (1961)

Cambrian Trilobites from the Amanos Mountains, Turkey. 
Palaeontology, 4(1):71-81

Dean, W.T. & Zhou Zhiyi (1988)
Upper Ordovician Trilobites from the Zap Valley, South-East Turkey. 
Palaeontology, 31(3):621-649

Dean, W.T. (1983)
Additional Faunal Data for the Bedinan Formation (Ordovician) of South-Eastern Turkey.
Special Papers in Palaeontology, 30:89-105 

Dean, W.T. (1972)
The Trilobite Genus Holasaphus Matthew, 1895 in the Middle Cambrian Rocks of Nova Scotia and Eastern Turkey. 
Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 9(3):266-279

Yalçin, M. Namik & Yilmaz, Isak (2010)
Devonian in Turkey - a review. 
Geologica Carpathica, 61(3):235-253

Ghienne, J.-F.; Monod, O.; Kozlu, H.; Dean, W.T. (2010)
Cambrian–Ordovician depositional sequences in the Middle East: A perspective from Turkey.
Earth-Science Reviews, 101(3-4):101-146

Dean, William T. (1975)
Cambrian and Ordovician correlation and trilobite distribution in Turkey.

Fossils and Strata, 4:353-374

Haas, Winfried (1968)
Trilobiten aus dem Silur und Devon von Bithynien (NW-Turkei). 
Palaeontographica Abt.A, 130:60-207

Shergold, John H. & Klaus Sdzuy (1984)
Cambrian and early Tremadocian trilobites from Sultan Dag, central Turkey. 
Senckenbergiana Lethaea, 65:51-135

Ketin, İhsan (1966)
Cambrian outcrops in southeastern Turkey and their comparison with the Cambrian of East Iran. 
Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration Institute of Turkey, Foreign Edition 66:77-89

Monod, Olivier (1969)
Présence d'une faune ordovicienne dans les schistes de Seydişehir à la base des calcaires du Taurus occidental.
Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration Institute of Turkey, 69:79-89

Özgül, Necdet; Metin, Sait; Dean, William T. (1972) 
Lower Paleozoic stratigraphy and faunas of the eastern Taurus Mountains in the Tufanbeyli region, southern Turkey.
Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration Institute of Turkey, 79:9-16 

Kalafatçıoğlu, Adnan (1975)
Distribution of Ordovician-Silurian formations in Turkey and in the neighboring countries. 
Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration Institute of Turkey, 84:1-13

Dean, William T. & Özgül, Necdet (1979)
Middle Cambrian Trilobite Succession in the Çaltepe Formation at Bagbasi (Hadim-Konya) Central Taurus, Turkey.
Bulletin of the Mineral Research and Exploration Institute of Turkey, 92:1-6

Dean, William T. (2005)
Trilobites from the Çal Tepe Formation (Cambrian), Near Seydişehir, Central Taurides, Southwestern Turkey.
Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences, 14:1-71

Dean, William T. (2006)
Cambrian Stratigraphy and Trilobites of the Samur Dağ Area, South of Hakkâri, Southeastern Turkey.
Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences, 15:225-257

Lerosey-Aubril, R. & Angiolini, Lucia (2009)
Permian trilobites from Antalya Province, Turkey, and enrollment in Late Paleozoic trilobites.
Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences, 18:427-448 

Kandemir, Rai̇f & Lerosey-Aubril, Rudy (2011)
First Report of a Trilobite in the Carboniferous of Eastern Pontides, NE Turkey.
Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences, 20:179-183

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

2 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Emre...

Hoşgeldiniz to The Fossil Forum!  Actually...Turkey is VERY rich in fossils...depending on where you are located in the country.  I used to collect fossils in abundance when I lived in Ankara but there weren't quite as many along the coast itself when I lived in Izmir.  I have links to a number of articles (in English) about Turkish fossils and fossil localities in my 'Pdf Library' here on The Fossil Forum.  Just click on THIS LINKand then scroll down the page until you get to the section for Turkey.

Glad to have you with us!

-Joe

Ah, how sad i spent all my life in Izmir but i didn't discovered any sites. I have searched Turkish files about fossils and found nothing. I hope your link will be helpful. 

Regards;

-Emre

I loved Izmir!  Some of the best memories of my youth originate there!  I lived across the bay in Karşıyaka.  The only success I had in finding fossils in that area was when I used to walk in some of the dry river beds near the hills where the U.S. Air Force used to (and may still) have a RADAR installation.  I did manage to find some fossilized molluscs (bivales, gastropods and ammonites) in those riverbeds.  Good luck in your searches and with your career in archaeology.  The archaeological/historical aspects were one of the things I liked most about living in Turkey.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

My advice as far as best species to start a collection is whatever interests you the most. Decide what you are into and start from there. And by the way there are some people who love sanddollars and do not find them worthless. One mans junk is another man's treasure. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hi,

Yes, show us your sand dollars !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

42 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Yes, show us your sand dollars !

Coco

Of course, here is the only remaining sand dollar in my hand. 

images (8).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

That is beautiful.

Echinoids are a wonderful and diverse species.

This one IS a fossil and a great addition to any collection.

Good luck on your endeavor in to Archeology.

Hi,

Thank you for pics. What our american friends call "sand dollars" are flat sea urchins as this one, that live or lived in the sand and the mud. I don't know the name of your species but it is attrative.

16aqzja.jpg

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Archived