New Jersey fossil hunts - identified material found in 2016

frankh8147

Me and my brother (shajzer64) went to the Trenton State Museum today for identification on some fossils we found in Monmouth County over the past few months. We also brought along a few fossils we found through the past few years that I believed could be Hadrosaur teeth. We met with Mr. Paris and had a great day. The highlight was a large Mosasaur brain case my brother found last month but we were also very happy to find out that the potential Hadrosaur teeth we had were all indeed Hadrosaur teeth; we had struggled with this ID in the pat so it was nice to know we turned the corner with that one. The last highlight was two crocodile teeth which are also Cretaceous. It was a great start to the morning and definitely strong motivation to hit the streams again as soon as possible!

museum4.jpg

museum 6.jpg

11223.jpg

museum 2.jpg

museum1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Awesome!  :D 

Did they tell you, specifically, which bone it is from the mosasaur skull?  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Right side brain case. There are two of these bones on either side toward the back of the skull that guard the brain. It's tough to see where it fits in without seeing a full skull.

3 minutes ago, shajzer64 said:

Right side brain case. There are two of these bones on either side toward the back of the skull that guard the brain. It's tough to see where it fits in without seeing a full skull.

True. 

I wondered if they thought it was a partial prootic, as I previous suspected

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I'm not familiar with which bones exactly fit that profile. At the museum it was mentioned that in the Mos, the brain case is a few bones merged together. An article I just found can explain it better than I. It mentions prootic a few times, so it  seems it might be, or is at least related...

http://oceansofkansas.com/MosaBrain.html

Quite the dense read, thanks. I'll use this to read up on other parts too. I might need a dictionary handy to get through it, but it's quite thorough.

Great finds!  I am glad you were able to get positive identification. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Awesome to get positive ID's on all of these. 
Congratulations on the great finds. 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hadrosaur teeth!! How awesome is that? I still remember when they finally found dinos in NJ. 25 years I lived there and never found a thing!   

Congratulations guys! I was dying to find out what that big bone fragment was. Those hadrosaur and croc teeth are excellent too. Nice to have your IDs confirmed by the expert.