Calvert Cliffs trip 1-21-17

Darktooth

Hi guys! Yesterday I had a great time at the cliffs. I left my house at 10:39 pm friday night, and got to the town of Chesapeake Beach around 5:00 am. For almost the entire ride I had to deal with thick patches of fog. I was quite relieved when I got to town. I had some time to kill, so I grabbed some Mcdonalds and made some posts on the forum. I also messaged back and forth with Maxfossils , who gave me some encouraging words. It was a great way to start the day. I pulled in to the parking lot at 6:45and it was barely light out. There was one car already there. As I walked the trail to the beach I noticed how quite it was. As I got to the water it was almost still as glass! Then I saw a guy who was carrying two paint cans walking towards me and he set them down and walked back to the water and strated digging. I said "Hi how are you?". What I got in return was an unfriendly mumble. So I ignored him as proceeded down the beach. The other thing I noticed was the fog hovering over the bay. It looked thick and ominous. It made things hard to see in the already low light. The good thing is that the water was gin clear and you could see everything.  I had a good feeling things would be in my favor. 

As I rounded the first corner, and then the fist debris pile I saw a great sight. The water was so low here that all the debris that normally is under water, was exposed. Soon I found a couple small teeth. Just enough to get the blood flowing. I also saw a lot of shells which normally I don't pay much attention to unless they are  real nice. I noticed a small pile of unbroken scallop shells. I reached down to pick them up and realized they were stuck together. When I flipped them over I saw about 5 small complete turritellas stuck to the shells with matrix. For some reason I didn't put this in my backpack. I just kept walking with it in my hand. A few feet away another shell grabbed my attention.  I got down on one knee to grab it. Just as I made the decision to keep it. Something made me turn to the right. And there it was a meg, only about 1 foot away half buried in sand! I couldn't believe it, I had only been out there about 30 minutes. But I did not know if it was complete. In my mind I just knew it was split in half. I was almost to afraid to find out. I did not want to be disappointed.  I reached down crossed my fingers and whala! It was whole with tip intact Yayyyyyy!  I could not believe my luck. I completely forgot the interesting shells a this point. I think I threw them in the excitement, which is in fact a shame. After putting the tooth in a safe place, I continued on finding small teeth here and there. At this point I started hearing strange noises from somewhere in the water. Of course with the fog I couldn't see anything. It took me a while to figure out it was birds and from all the noise, a lot of them. I made my way to my favorite stretch of beach. I was disappointed with what a saw. There was hardly any debris here and the shell line was very small. I managed a few tiny teeth here. I was hoping to snag a cow shark. Not long after that crossed my mind I look down and there was a small but perfect cow shark upper tooth! Wow! I was really happy as this was only my second upper I ever found, with the first one found on my last trip in September,  when I was with my Dad and Ropterus at Flag ponds. Then I take a few more steps and I find a cow shark lower. Complete cusps but missing the root. A few more steps and a broken piece of another lower. After this I just walked back and forth on this stretch finding a few stingray plates, pieces of bone, and the occasional tooth. I had the beach to myself for awhile. I started to head back to where I found the meg thinking I would have better luck. As I headed there I started running into a few people. There was a husband and wife, a forum member from Virginia. I can't remember his forum name. It was one I hadn't heard before and he said he hasn't been on for awhile. Then a local guy who said he had been coming for about twenty years. Everyone was very friendly and in good spirits despite the fact none of the found anything decent. With the exception of the gentleman from Virginia, who as he was heading out found a complete cowshark lower. I was surprised no one really stayed long. When I got back to the spot were I found the meg, it was all under water. So I spent the remaining time looking in  every nook and cranny I could find. 

Every once in awhile I would still hear the birds. At one point I turned around and the fog had cleared enough to see thousands upon thousands of birds in the water. It was crazy. I regret not getting a picture. In fact I wanted to apologize to the forum for not taking any pics while I was there.  Shortly after this I decided to head back to the car. I think it was around 11:00. I decided to go slow as possible in hopes of scoring a one more goodie. At one point I noticed a guy walking in my direction when he got to me we talked for a bit and I found out he is member Sharktooth Hunter ( Connor). I had a nice talk with him before he headed down a little further. He ended catching back up with me later so we walked back to our cars together on the way out. I really enjoyed having someone to talk with for the final walk back. Also I liked hearing about how he got into fossil hunting. A good way to end the trip. I ended up leaving there about 12:30 and after making a couple stops for gas and food got home about 7:30. I was exhausted but it was worth it.

Here are my finds, enjoy!

First pic, the total finds.

Second and third, meg

20170121_200026.jpg

20170122_142449.jpg

20170122_142526.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

All the rest 

Bulls, lemons, and the others I am not sure 

20170122_144302.jpg

AWESOME DAY!!! Congratulations!!! I've been waiting for your report! I don't know which tooth I like more, that meg or the upper cow shark tooth...both are incredible! 

Rob :D

2 minutes ago, ynot said:

Great trip report and finds, even without any local pictures!

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the fantastic meg.

Tony

1 minute ago, RCW3D said:

AWESOME DAY!!! Congratulations!!! I've been waiting for your report! I don't know which tooth I like more, that meg or the upper cow shark tooth...both are incredible! 

Thanks guys. I would have posted sooner but I was to tired last night. And I had a honey-do list to finish today. 

Woah .... that Meg is suh-weet !   Glad the day was a productive one.  That is one heck of a drive.

Cheers,

Its funny the reaction I get when I tell people that I meet at the cliffs where I'm from and how I  make a round trip in one day.  It is quite the drive but that shows how much I love it there. It holds a special place in my heart. That's one of the things Sharktooth Hunter and I were talking about was the peacfulness of it the cliffs the waves, the occasional wildlife. I always seem to meet good people. Except for Mr. Grumpleumpalus from the morning, I talked more than I normally do with others. To me the cliffs are the total package. And lets not forget, great fossils too. Even if not in great numbers like some other locals.

I forgot to mention that the meg measures 2 1/8 inches. Not large but I  am not complaining one bit.

2 minutes ago, Ropterus said:

Great report Dave. Nice teeth too! Really like that upper cow shark! Looks like you had a great day!

I certainly did Scott! Hopefully next time you can make it!

What an awesome trip!

The perfect meg was no surprise, as you already showed it to me, but the cowsharks were!

But why do you not mention the hemi's? They're beautiful! Especially the complete one on the right, it's stunning. :wub:

One very successful day, and surely worth the total 12 hours in the car.

Thanks for posting,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

What an awesome trip!

The perfect meg was no surprise, as you already showed it to me, but the cowsharks were!

But why do you not mention the hemi's? They're beautiful! Especially the complete one on the right, it's stunning. :wub:

One very successful day, and surely worth the total 12 hours in the car.

Thanks for posting,

Max

I really do like the hemi's too, but I guess I don't get as excited about them as I do with megs , makos and cows. I always find them there they are very common. Tigers are as well I probably have found more tigers than any other species, with hemi's second most.

• I found this Informative 1

44 minutes ago, darctooth said:

I really do like the hemi's too, but I guess I don't get as excited about them as I do with megs , makos and cows. I always find them there they are very common. Tigers are as well I probably have found more tigers than any other species, with hemi's second most.

Ah ok, that makes sense. For us it's different: in Europe makos are fairly common (even whole ones) but hemis are quite rare.

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Dave, 

I really enjoyed chatting with you. It's not that often that I get to talk with someone who shares the same passion and interest. I'm glad  your long drive payed off with that Meg, and I hope we can meet again some day. 

Conor 

55 minutes ago, Shark Tooth Hunter said:

Dave, 

I really enjoyed chatting with you. It's not that often that I get to talk with someone who shares the same passion and interest. I'm glad  your long drive payed off with that Meg, and I hope we can meet again some day. 

Conor 

Hi Conor! It was nice to meet you. The next time I come down there I will pm you and maybe we could hunt together.

Dave

20 hours ago, darctooth said:

But I did not know if it was complete. In my mind I just knew it was split in half. I was almost to afraid to find out. I did not want to be disappointed.  I reached down crossed my fingers and whala! I was whole with tip intact Yayyyyyy!

It is a truly wonderful feeling when this happens; I recall my last time and anticipate the next.  It is definitely part of the addiction.  Thanks for the photos and report !!!

I love both Sandtigers and Cowshark possibl because they are so rare where I hunt. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 hours ago, darctooth said:

...I reached down crossed my fingers and whala! It was whole with tip intact Yayyyyyy!  I could not believe my luck...

Awesome! :) ...thanks for sharing.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Looks and sounds like a great trip Dave. The meg is very nice, but I really like the upper Notorhynchus. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022