Ramon

I bought this fossil today at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I want to know the genus of trilobite and maybe the species. It looks like Phacops. It is in a defensive pose. In total from the glabella to the pygidium is 6 1/2 centimeters. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Glabella 

20170122_173236.jpg

Side view

20170122_173247.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

I agree it does look like phacops (or Eldredgeops) but I am not an expert could you get a close up of cephalon and one of the pygidium if it is exposed?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

6 minutes ago, darctooth said:

I agree it does look like phacops (or Eldredgeops) but I am not an expert could you get a close up of cephalon and one of the pygidium if it is exposed?

Here's some close up pics 

Cephalon/ Glabella 

20170122_181621.jpg

Pygidium 

20170122_181634.jpg

Unfortunately the Pygidium is not very well preserved.

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Here are a couple pics of Eldredgeops rana that I collected from Deep Springs Road. I have one small complete enrolled one as well but it is to small for me to photograph well.I think mine and yours look the same.

20170122_193919.jpg

20170122_193927.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

Cool finds!!! 

20170122_193919.jpg.f147238205acf91672b94d24e7b5d1df.jpg

Well I think it is Eldredgeops rana.

Thanks for the information.

The trilobite is from Morocco so it is definitely not Eldredgeops.  Barrandeops or Boeckops are the common Moroccan phacopids.

As I mentioned to you previously; eye lenses need to be counted.  You need to present a photo like this to determine the species.

IMG1.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

On 1/22/2017 at 6:59 PM, piranha said:

The trilobite is from Morocco so it is definitely not Eldredgeops.  Barrandeops or Boeckops are the common Moroccan phacopids.

As I mentioned to you previously; eye lenses need to be counted.  You need to present a photo like this to determine the species.

IMG1.jpg

The eyes aren't very well preserved in this fossil.

Just now, Bguild said:

To me it looks like Barrandeops. 

Without the lens files it is not possible to ID this trilobite. Boeckops also has similar tubercles on the glabella.

11 minutes ago, piranha said:

IMG1.jpg

Just curious how you know its from Morocco , I did not see that mentioned previously.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

1 minute ago, darctooth said:

Just curious how you know its from Morocco , I did not see that mentioned previously.

It actually is from Morocco!!!   I forgot to mention that.

1 minute ago, darctooth said:

The morphology and lithology are typical for these.  Do a Google or ebay image search for comparison.

Just now, piranha said:

The morphology and lithology are typical for these.  Do a Google or ebay image search for comparison.

And It's very common that they come from there. Today more than 50,000 Moroccans earn their livelihoods in the fossil and mineral specimen mining and export business.

callout1.gif

I'll just label it Phacopidae Ind.

Archived