Central Texas Fossil ID

Boots

Not a particularly exciting ID request, but these have been driving me crazy. I pick up tiny fragments of these in the North Sulphur River and Post Oak Creek, and picked up some bigger chunks while hunting in central Texas lately. On the "exterior" the striations run vertical, but on the cross sections the striations are horizontal. On larger chunks there are sometimes a layer of pocketed material on the back. Is it petrified wood, shell fragments, some type of enamel? I keep grabbing these things without knowing for sure what they are, and I'm ready to toss them if I can't figure it out.

http://imgur.com/a/qwKtl

Any help is appreciated. Thanks y'all!

Welcome to the forum. These are broken pieces of bivalves. The cross-section shows where calcite crystals were formed. The pockets are probably where oysters attached to the clam shell.

• I found this Informative 1

Posting the images here for continuity and for those who don't want to or can't access imgur. 

VxMOjme.jpg   4t5bhbQ.jpg  ZpikOBG.jpg   5NDdakU.jpg    XzQFScB.jpg

1tAHY84.jpg    2xjeKFa.jpg   gWAlqn9.jpg    ivxQpvf.jpg   m9qUStx.jpg

3GQbzKp.jpg   OQ0sura.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me